View Single Post
Old 11-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #18
arathorn
Animated Skeleton

arathorn has just left Hobbiton.

There are (at least) two notes Tolkien made in reaction to the Baynes artwork, one about the Eldar, the other about the Numenoreans in which Elendil, in my opinion, is much shorter than in yet another note. Elendil being 'only' 7 feet tall-ish is part of my opinion as I read the text on the Eldar -- since these texts do have an arguable connection, at least.

In any case it hardly matters. All we need is one text in which Tolkien changes his mind, and an honest interpretation of that text.

So you suggest that because he made Elendil and the nobles Numenoreans shorter 'The Numenoreans before the Downfall were a people of great stature and strength, the Kings of Men, their full grown men were commonly seven feet tall, especially in the royal and noble houses.' it would have something to do with your interpretation about the Eldar being 6'6"?

Four foot difference... huh?

You know what I mean... that's like the difference between me and my uncle and I'm nothing spectacularly tall and neither is my uncle very short.

Passages that you claim are 'much easier' that is.

You are starting not to think rationally if you think 6'4" is the tallest of a people that average 6' and my interpretation only take 6'6" as a minimum thus the average being close to 7'(but not seven which are the Noldor more often). If that's not an easier claim at least in comparison to Galadriel's contradiction I'm done.

Yet again I can't follow what argument you claim I am making on some other site at some point in the past. Since I haven't made the argument here yet, what you are doing here is characterizing something I said elsewhere, as you see it...

... and then arguing with your characterization. I would have to see what I actually said before responding, and in full context.

Stop with explanations... you know you tried to fit 6' average with 6'4" of Galadriel. I mean even I that don't actually like inconsistencies know that there is no solution.
arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote