View Single Post
Old 12-06-2003, 07:23 AM   #204
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

A fully laden wagon rumbled through the gates of the white city, flanked by four riders all clad in bright green cloaks a silver swan embroidered to the left breast of each. The riders consisted of two men and two woman, the first man riding at the front right of the wagon was unmistakably Gondorian, tall and proud his dark eyes bright and keen followed the winding road. The woman riding to the left side of the wagon was also Gondorian and her straight dark hair whipped in the mild winter winds, both held their heads high as they guided the wagon through the winding streets of the city of their birth. The man to the rear and right of the wagon was also tall, his hair short and raven black, his hazel eyes keen if not a little grim and the solid wooden bow on his back marked him a man of Dale. The final rider was an elf woman fair of face and her pale grey eyes holding the wisdom of three ages, her fair hair shimmering in the moonlight.

The wagon with its heavy load also had passengers, at the rear of the wagon sat a sturdy red headed dwarf, a long grey clay pipe clenched firmly between his teeth as he studied the stonework of the white city, passing the occasional comment to the hobbit who sat next to him. The hobbit too had a pipe in his mouth and was content to listen to his dwarven companion while blowing smoke rings into the encroaching night, his brown locks bouncing as he shook disagreeing or nodded agreeing with his friends comments. Like the riders both the stout hobbit and his dwarven friend wore green cloaks with the silver swan motif.

Up in front either side of the wagoneer sat two young olive skinned women identical in every way, their long dark hair braided to their waists, their rich amber eyes staring in awe at the wonders of the city. Both wore soft red silk veils which revealed only their soft kohl lined eyes, but unlike the others they were wrapped in dark fur cloaks, even their boot were fur lined, being from the south they felt the cold more than the others.

"Are we nearly there?" they asked in unison, pulling their cloaks tighter about them.

"Yes my young friends you will soon feel the warmth of the Seventh Star," the tall vibrant female wagoneer laughed, "Captain Aerant said that the inn is renowned for its hospitality, and the innkeeper will welcome us when we bring him his latest shipment of ales and wines from north and south of arda!"

"There's even several casks of Dorwinion wine back here!" the dwarf interrupted. "Your father must think highly of the innkeeper to impart such a gift!"

"Nay master Odrin, Have you not served under my father long enough to know that he gives nothing freely, even the advice he imparts often has it's price?" she laughed heartily, the dwarf nodded lending his deep rumbling laugh to her mirth. "Nay the innkeeper, a master Rimbaud, paid in advance asking us specially to acquire the Dorwinion wine if we could."

"Aye an' it took us, near on a month with many songs and story telling before the wine merchants of Dorwinion would agree on a price." the tall Gondorian man laughed good heartedly.

"Ha! so that is where you and Brandwin disappeared too several months past!" the stout hobbit cried, jumping up and promptly hitting his head on the lantern that swung from the roof of the wagon, setting the group into another chorus of ructious laughter.

"So master Fastred has discovered the reason for our mysterious absence, Hámalin?" the grim looking Dale man laughed, coming forward at the mention of his name.

"Yes I have, and I might well have liked to see those lands and played my pipes on the shores of the sea of Rhûn, for the pleasure of the lords and ladies?" he huffed rubbing the bump on his head.

"And I am sure they too would have loved to hear those pipes, Fastred my friend, but would you have really suffered the long journey on horse back?" The Gondorian man, Hámalin asked gently.

"I just might have," the hobbit groaned, plopping himself down heavily on a large wooden trunk.

"Well Master Fastred when next we are required to pass that way we will all go and take the wagon then you will not return to us bruised and saddle sore!" the Wagoneer laughed her coppery brown curls bouncing lightly about her shoulders as she did, with that promise the hobbit brightened considerably .

"Look the star still shines !" The Gondorian woman called pointing to the light that shone through the dusty windows, As they halted in the yard of the seventh star.

"Alright ladies and gentlemen remember we are here to work if we can, the swan is berthed for the winter and will not sail again until the spring, how long we remain in the white city will depend on our audience and our ability to hold their attention!" Nerindel announced addressing them standing tall and confident upon the wagon. "How many of us will require rooms at the inn? " she asked looking to the two Gondorians in her company.

"Odrin and Fastred made it clear before we even disembarked the swan that they wished to take up a room at the inn, but Brandwin has agreed to be a guest at my families home." Hámalin answered and the man of Dale nodded that this was so.

"Ashra and Ashru have both agreed to be my guests," the twin Haradwaith women nodded excitedly, "and Lírësule too if she will?" the Gondorian woman said looking to the elf woman for her answer.

"I thank you for the kind offer Finríel, but I think at least one of us with more sense and less thought of fine ale and food should remain to look out for the lady Nimsûl!" the elf laughed nodding towards the dwarf and the hobbit, "Hey, we can look after the lady!" Fastred retorted looking truly offended, "Come now, my young friend you know she is right!" the dwarf laughed, slapping the hobbit playfully on the back as they dismounted.

"Then it is settled, Myself, Líresule, Odrin and Master Fastred will take rooms in the inn and the rest of you will be guests of our Gondorian friends, but first to deliver our cargo and see about offering our services to the good Master Rimbaud." Nerindel grinned jumping down from the wagon.

"Hámalin! Líresule! come with me the rest of you help unload the wagon." With a round of nodded assent , she turned and with the same movement swept the right side of her cloak over her shoulder, revealing the figure hugging russet bodice and the russet and burnt orange skirts of her fine apparel. Her two companions did like wise, Líresule revealing a simple green travelling dress of elven make and a small golden hand harp hanging from her fine silvery belt and Hámalin wore a fine cut blue shirt with his black leggings.

It was late and the door was locked for the night, she knocked long and loud, after a short wait a great bear of a man opened the door and stepped out infront of her, "Can I help you?" he asked, plainly annoyed by the lateness of their arrival. She regarded him for a second with her bright sea blue eyes then smiled "Yes I am looking for the innkeeper of this fine establishment."

"Then you have found him!" the large man answered, Puzzled Nerindel cast a questioning looked back to Hámalin, who only shrugged. This man did not fit the description they were given of the innkeeper of the Seventh Star! "You are Master Rimbaud?" she asked raising a questioning eyebrow.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 8:51 AM December 06, 2003: Message edited by: Nerindel ]