View Single Post
Old 12-18-2004, 10:03 AM   #14
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
I do wonder what kind of flute that is. It certainly isn't an ordinary transerve concert flute - it could be a wooden baroque flute, I suppose. At first I assumed it was some kind of recorder, but now that I think about it, it doesn't really sound like one.
After playing the theme on a tin whistle and a plastic double pennywhistle (basically two little recorders stuck together so I can play my own harmony -- yay!), I still think it's a wooden flute. The tin whistle's sound wasn't clear enough, and the pennywhistles sounded a little too clean. You're right, Aiwendil, it's definintely not an ordinary flute. I originally thought wood because my flute teacher plays this beautiful wooden flute, and it reminds me of that.

A little note: I said maybe this flute part was done by Sir James Galway, but now I think probably not. He's so famous, and I can't find his name anywhere in the CD booklet -- they'd have to credit him. Now I think it likely it was someone from the London Philharmonic or the New Zealand Symphony... I just wish I knew who.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote