View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 01:27 AM   #50
Palrun-Enda
Newly Deceased

Palrun-Enda has just left Hobbiton.
I have to agree with Findegil here. When I first read the Hobbit, after the Silmarilion, The fact that the Arkenstone had its own light made this idea occure to me.

We know that the elves were able to essentially mass produce gems in Valanor. Baring the constant assistance of a Valar or Maya, they had to have been able to produce the heat and pressure necessary to create these stones.

If they could do this in their forges, I don't see how the heat of the fires of the worlds heart and the pressure from thousands of tons of rock couldn't do the same.

I recall a passage in the Silmarilion where it talks about the steps in the creation of diamond which I recall had opal and pearl as intermediate steps. Also, in the description of the creation of the silmarils there was a comment about how the other gems of the elves had no inner light.

These two fact, to me, point to the Arkenstone being a silmaril. I disagree that the long darkness was the cause of its dimness. All three silmarils were in Angband in an essentially light less state for centuries. Instead, I belive this is further evidence for the Arkenstone as the silmaril of Earth.

If the silmaril was in the molten heart of the earth, a layer of lesser gems could have accumulated on it. This substance would be softer then the silmaril (although everything is softer then the silmarils) and would have been a less perfect transmitter of light to and from the gem.

The other substance might also explain the lack of lusting after the gem. As elves and men were not effected everywhere in Arda by the silmarils so there must have been a factor of distance. Also when in the bowels of Carcharoth the hunters did not lust after the gem. This points to other material insulating the children against the desire to possess the silmarils.

I do wonder though why Ulmo or Osse have not gotten the other one. I mean they have free reign of the ocean and the thing is impossibly valuable and extraordinarily beautiful. It seems like lazyness that they haven't recovered that one.

Or perhaps they have and Tolkien didn't relate it. Or perhaps the Valar have some knowledge we were not given.

Just my ideas.
Palrun-Enda is offline   Reply With Quote