View Single Post
Old 09-02-2003, 07:05 PM   #210
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmmm, I take it that my difficulty with patiently waiting for things I am anticipating precedes me

"Hmmmmmm, I don't Elora will be too keen with that."

:P

Well, right you are. Being an impatient brat, I'll re-write my opening post to fit with the evening. That way, we're all starting from the same time frame.

That will be my task today - rewrite for consistency. I will re-post the edits later tonight (bold perhaps, but thanks in advance Piosenniel for replacing my old opening posts with the forthcoming new ones).

EVERDAWN Welcome along! Your character's background fits well with some ideas I was entertaining for Naiore's background on her involvement with Avanill.

Here are those ideas:

Naiore cut quite an unusual figure in Mordor when she was there. She retained distinctly Elven sensabilities, surrounded by orcs, ashes, fumes,cruelty, fear, suffering and of course Sauron.

One visual impression I have of her is as she walks through a dark, echoing and dank hall of Barad-Dur, dressed as one would expect a Noldorin Elf of noble descent to dress. Silks and gems adorn her, and she walks gracefully through the corridors as though she does not see what is around her.

It is that incongruity that is a big part of her character.

So, that leads me to my ideas concering her connection with Avanill. Naiore would have need to source the luxuries she required from outside of Mordor. Silks and fine things would not be gotten within the borders of that dark place. Nor could orcs be entrusted to bring such spoils, and even had they been able to Naiore would disdain to touch such things ruined by their loathsome touch. She hated orcs, but used them as tools like she uses all else.

So, Avanill and his mother could be the principle supply of the things she needed. Fine materials, delicate and sophisticated things of Elven design, scents... but also darker things like poisons so dread as to be impossible to get on the legitimate market of apothecaries. Poisons from the south, forbidden, she would use. Infusions to loosen a tongue or heighten the sensation of fear and pain.

So Avanill would know of an Elf whose custom consisted of decadence luxury and terrible things, arcane almost, mysterious always. She would have dealt with his mother, and mayhap from time to time Avanill may have seen her himself.

If that works for you, and please let me know if it does or does not, that leads me onto my next idea for the present timeframe of the RP.

The luxury of Naiore's situation has vanished. Mordor is unmade and Sauron can no longer offer her the security she once had. Gone to a large extent are the silks and the wealth that she had accrued over the years. I imagine those picking through the rubble of Mordor's Barad-dur and Minas Morgul would have stumbled upon a bright jewel, a woman's delicate shoe, a silken scarf.

Naiore, the fugitive, can little afford such things now. However, her need for the poisions and infusions that she could get through Avanill and his mother will not have ceased. If anything, it will have increased.

I got to wondering if it was possible that Avanill, who knows of murmurings and whisperings in the darker communities of Middle-earth as well as those in the accepted communities, may have some inclination that she was about. If she encountered him, she would suspect him of being another bounty hunter, but he has value that other hunters do not.

She will want more infusions and she knows Avanill can get them. From theat starting point a connection can be made between the two characters in the present tense of the Fourth Age, 12 long years after Naiore last glided serenely through the dark fastness of Barad-dur as though she was a swan in an inky pool.

How does that all sound? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight