Thread: LotR2-TTT-Seq06
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2006, 09:07 PM   #6
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael
First of all, I'd like to say that Gandalf's voice deserves a star. Anyone else thinks that his voice is even stronger than Saruman's? Of course, when we hear Saruman and Gandalf facing each other, Saruman is already the weakest one, even if he doesn't know it... but I'm straying too far ahead.
Have to check out the commentary, but I think that, when the Three Hunters first encounter the White Wizard, it's first Christopher Lee's voice (or a pretty close imitation) then Ian McKellen's. I guess that we're supposed to be sitting in trepidation, thinking that this is Saruman. Didn't the trailer already spoil this?

Quote:
Now, here's a concern of sorts... I can't recall from the book, but does Gandalf refuse to tell the three hunters where the hobbits are? It just feels like a cheap attempt at making everything sound more "misterious" even though we already know where they are. Even if you have not read the books, you can guess that they are with Barbol. Erm, I mean Treebeard =D
Book-Gandalf finally gets around to it, and in the movie I thought that he was going to when Aragorn chides him that he's still close and talking as the Wise always seem to do ('the explanations needed by others are just so bothersome...' or something), but no. I think that PJ falls into the habit of continually wanting to surprise us. Gandalf's sudden appearance in Bag End is where it started, and in this movie we're going to see a wide diversion just for the sake of 'is he coming back?'-itis. I'm okay with the use of the lost and found characters now and then, but continuously? Is this something that non-readers found good or frustrating? As a reader and someone who followed the development of the films, pretending to kill of characters was just bad.