View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 04:16 AM   #97
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Taralphiel's post

Sorn seethed as the maiden stood almost to his height, turning up her nose at him and brandishing the high airs of her noble upbringing.

"It is not too late, you know." Sorn's eyes twitched with rage at her tone. "You could claim you found me in some cave or vale, held by bandits. You could return me to Eomer with a hero's honors, be granted a place at his table, rather than the dog's death you deserve."

Sorn's hand suddenly slammed down on the bars, sending a thud though the room. His voice, unknown to him, now carried through the entire house as he bellowed at the young girl.

"I DESERVE! What does a simpering, spoilt, sugar-mouthed CHILD know of what fate should afford me? Do you know of what it feels like to lose all your family? All the honour of your house? Do you know of the struggle to rebuild EVERYTHING you have lost? Nay, you have no mind to understand what I deserve!"

Sorn did not even notice his hand moving of it's own accord, nor it clenching into a tight fist and ramming against the bars, grazing and shearing at his skin. His body went limp a moment, his figure shrinking to much lower to that of the tall woman of Dol Amroth.

"Your attempts to bargain for your freedom without coin are pathetic. You will not be set free without ransom. Do you think me a fool? To walk into the Hall of the Eorl and his haughty Queen and claim to be your rescuer? Is this the best attempt you have to convince me? I am disappointed..."

Sorn straightened, and smiled at Linduial, knowing now that while he mocked her, her words still held a deep bite.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JennyHallu's post

Linduial opened her mouth to speak, only to find herself interrupted by the harsh call of a horn. She closed her lips as Sorn sneered at her a final time and sprinted out of the cellar, but the mingled scorn and pity in her grey eyes followed him up the stairs, vengeful ghosts that waited not for Lin's death to haunt his footfalls.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taralphiel's post

Sorn let out a tortured shriek as he heard the horn sound. He knew what it meant. He grew only more incensed as the young Lady did not shout for joy, but simply sat, smirking at him. Sorn raced up the steps, heading for his locked room. Thrusting open the door, he threw down Linduial’s belongings and took his dagger from the table, and a small shirt of mail. Turning to a chest on the right, he produced another set of daggers and its finely crafted sheath, and belted it over the mail. A broadsword lay in the open chest, and Sorn eyed it before locking the door behind him. He slipped the key on the chain over his neck. He would not need it yet.

Around him, he saw his House in disarray. His cook, gathering her best pans in a cloth, was trying to make out the back escape as fast as her portly stature could muster. Scyld was nowhere to be seen, and that sent Sorn’s anger even higher, though it did not surprise him.

Sorn made his way to the front of the house, to see Osfrid crouching at a window, a blank look of dread on his face. Sorn did not worry about pleasantries, but heaved the man to his feet.

“You shall be my representative. Do not say a word of the girl! And do not even begin to think of fleeing. Tell them they have no business being on my land! I shall watch you. If you are loyal, I will keep you safe.”

~*~

Osfrid stood and called to the group, his walk having distracted them as Sorn slinked out of the side entrance. Crouched behind the thick growth and trees by the side bounds of the house, he crept along to take a better look at the group addressing the man. Osfrid had picked the spot well, being next to a boundary wall of his house. Sorn watched carefully.

All were tall men of Rohan, stern and armed as he would expect. Two took a step forward, and Sorn did not need them to speak to know who the first was. Lord Eodwine. Sorn clenched his teeth as he listened to the man address Osfrid.

"I am Eodwine, Eorl of the Middle Emnet, and thus your lord's lord. I charge you to tell him that I want to speak with him. There is a report that he has done wrong, and I would hear from his own mouth otherwise."

Sorn dug his free hand into the dirt, his other hand seemed to have a mind of its own. He had one dagger ready, and his grey eyes did not move from the strong face of Eodwine.

Osfrid spoke well, but this did not calm Sorn’s rage. He stood slowly from his crouch, and no one in the party noticed him. Osfrid gave his simple answer.

"I would still hear the words from your lord himself."

The second man noticed Sorn’s arm swing high, but Sorn was no longer in control of his own action. The dagger flew, but missed its mark. It landed in the other man’s shoulder. Sorn hissed, and crawled away. The party was too concerned with the attack to notice him. Sorn forgot completely about his man left in the open.

Sorn strode around the back edge of his property, his lips in a tight line. He had many choices, all of which would leave him sadly without that which he had planned all of this for – money. He knew now what objective he had to fall back to.

He removed another dagger. This was not meant for a man, but for the fair Lady of Dol Amroth. He would not have her as a liability. And he would not give the Eorl of Middle Emnet his wonderful victory.

Last edited by Taralphiel; 10-09-2006 at 04:46 AM.