View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 03:36 PM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victariongreyjoy View Post
How could 30 dunedain rangers change the outcome of the Battle of the Pelennor Fields? Were these rangers like a elite-force with the same strength as Aragorn and just wiping out Mordor's 100k orcs with easterlings and souhtrons just like a piece of cake?
Though the Rangers were indeed a more formidable force than their numbers alone suggest, they did not change the outcome on Pelennor. Aside from the Rangers, Aragorn also brought with him a significant number of fighters from the south of Gondor, after removing the threat of corsairs that kept them behind. Plus, the demoralizing surprise factor of enemies appearing on allied ships.

If you're interested in the military side of the battle, I recommend checking out this thread: http://www.forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=19363. It links to a series of articles analyzing the battle from a strategic point of view and describes how big each force was and what is their role and impact. I found this series very enjoyable and informative, I highly recommend it.