View Single Post
Old 03-23-2005, 03:30 AM   #28
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Doesn't it require a rational soul capable of making moral choices to be truly 'Good' or 'evil'?

One of the most obvious manifestations of 'evil' in Middle earth is destruction of the natural environment. I don't see any natural plants, trees or animals participating in this kind of behaviour. What I do see is such creatures defending themselves (often, admittedly, to an extremely callous & destructive degree) against those they percieve to be their enemies, or against any who invade their territory.

What I mean is, I don't think we can class any trees or animals who have not been bred, or pressed into service, by the Enemy alongside Sauron or Saruman or the Nazgul. The moral 'evil' of those who have chosen to hate & destroy the Light is of a different order. (Some of) The trees of Fangorn & the Old Forest may have black hearts, but they are not demonic, they have not 'made a pact' with hell.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote