View Single Post
Old 10-15-2003, 07:43 PM   #102
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Dúlrain

As he followed, the three strangers suddenly turned right into one of Bree's side streets, he paused momentarily throwing back his cloak freeing his sword arm, an instinct born of years of caution, then taking his reigns in his left hand he urged his horse forwards towards the opening. At the mouth of the alleyway Dúlrain was again forced to pause as the male rider looked back towards him.

Taking a few paces forward he watched as the rider lowered his hood and in a fluid movement that only a trained eye would notice, he flipped his cloak over his right shoulder freeing his sword arm as he raised his hand in greeting, very clever Dúlrain thought as the man brought his horse to stop across his path, Dúlrain glanced past him to the veiled woman in the distance wondering why if this was Naiore she had sent this man back and not come herself.

A rather bland greeting drew his attention back to the rider, "I can't help but wonder why you follow us." the rider enquired, after nodding and returning a pleasant greeting of his own, his gaze drifted back to the two women, "Curiosity, Sir," he smiled honestly. "it's not often that we see such a mysterious creature as your companion this far north. Comes she from Harad?"

"Far Harad," the rider answered comfortably

"It must be quite uncomfortable under all that fabric. Hot, I would think," Dulrain continued in conversational tones, looking at the woman wondering who or what was hidden beneath the full veil of the haradwaith, when a shorter one would have been more normal for this time of year. But the rider explained patiently that she preferred to travel veiled.

'I bet she does', Dúlrain thought dryly.

"Though I can't imagine what the relative comfort of my wife would have to do with you. sir." 'Wife!' Dúlrain thought looking from the veiled woman to the rider before him, noting the hint of annoyance in his words Dúlrain lightened the situation by introducing himself, but as the rider introduced himself, his wife and the hobbit woman explaining how she came to be in their company, Dúlrain for the first time in their meeting met his eyes.

He felt his own eyes widen in disbelief, as he thought he looked upon a ghost of his past. How can this be? he thought studying the unscarred features of the man who had called himself Camlis, the pale ice blue eyes were unmistakable, but as the man before him deliberately turned his unscarred side away, a million question entered Dúlrain's mind,

Where has he been?

what happened to him?

why have I not heard word of his survival?

why would he lie to me?

Why was there no recognition in his eyes? and why would he be travelling with Naiore?, But perhaps this is some kind of trick to distract me, this is not possible I... I..., I what he scolded himself silently, I found not body! only a torn blood stained cloak and his sword, something I believed that only death would part him from.

As brothers we live
As one we fight
In the service of our kin, we will remain true
never defeated while together we stand
when in need, one will always find the other!

Guilt gripped Dúlrain as the oath he and Kaldir made as youths came unbidden to his mind, where was he when his friend was in need of him, he was grieving a death that was not so!

Dúlrain was hard put to remove his gaze from the man he now believed was Kaldir his old childhood friend, brothers in all but blood they had been, but now his friend looked on him as one looking on a stranger.

Realising that he was finding out nothing he decided to change his tactic to a more direct one, "I am searching for a dangerous criminal and your wife hidden under her veils drew my suspicion, I have no interest in a woman from the south, but I need proof that she is not the woman I seek" he sighed regretfully, but his hand shifted to the hilt of his sword, least Kaldir refused his request.

He silently preyed he would not and that the woman was not Naiore! What he was doing was dangerous he knew, but he had to know if his old friend was in league with Naiore!

[ October 17, 2003: Message edited by: Nerindel ]