View Single Post
Old 01-14-2004, 10:08 AM   #195
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Toby Longholes

The smell of burning wood and low voices told Toby that he was drawing near to his quarry, "Well I've found them, Now what eh?" he muttered to himself, "If I just stroll into their camp that bounty hunter will be on me like a fox on a hare, there's no doubt. No! I think I will wait a see if the opportunity arises for me to speak with the ranger alone." Slowly he moved about the bushes looking for somewhere to hide, but always keeping an eye on the activity in the camp.

'Snap!' Toby froze holding his breath as a dry twig snapped under his feet, but to his relief no one in the camp seemed to stir, looking about he found a niche in a small group of bushes and hunkered down to observe the group.

"Have you got any more of that Longleaf left?" he heard the bounty hunter ask Dulrain.

"Ah Longleaf!" he signed longingly, patting his pocket to find his own pipe thankfully still intact, "What I wouldn't give to fill my pipe right now!" he muttered under his breath. As Kaldir went towards the horses to retrieve some of Dulrain's pipe weed, Toby wondered if the ranger might come near enough for him to catch his attention. He watched as the ranger began collecting firewood and as luck would have it he was working his way close to was the hobbit was hiding.

Toby was just about to catch the ranger’s attention when he noted that the campfire was full ablaze and that a stack of firewood sat next to it. So why is he collecting more? He thought to himself, dawning came to him and he suddenly he looked around, the bounty hunter was nowhere to be seen, blast! He panicked, turning with a start as he heard a slight rustle behind him. As the bounty hunter loomed over him he tried to scramble away, but Kaldir grabbed him about the back of his neck, he struggled until he felt the sharp point of Kaldir's dagger at his side.

"A single sound and you will be a very dead hobbit," Kaldir growled in his ear, tightening the already firm grip on his neck. Toby would have vigorously nodded his understanding if he could but instead he remained silent.

"Well, well if it isn't Master Longholes, A little far from homes aren’t we!" The ranger Dúlrain jibbed, levelling a finely crafted jewelled companion sword at his chest.

"Aye and I wouldn't be if it weren't for you and that other ranger!" he blurted out, suddenly angry at the way he was being treated, after all he had come to help them.

"And just how do you come by that conclusion master Longholes?" Dúlrain asked raised a questioning eyebrow.

"Well if Amandur had not tempted me with his gold and you hadn't kept me to his request, I would never have been at Ferneys house with a troop of rangers in broad daylight with goodness knows who watching. I would not have had to find somewhere to hide until things blew over and Ferney’s temper simmered down. Then I would never have run into Naiore and been forced into this madness,” he retorted in one long breath.

"She's insane! I tell you."

"You think so!" Kaldir hissed in his ear, sounding less than convinced by his claim.

"So why are you spying on us then master Longholes, if you are an unwilling party?" Dulrain asked his tone indicating that he was not just talking about this instance. Toby paused for a second to contemplate his answer, though it was not hard found.

"To stay alive,” he said simply, sure at least the bounty hunter would understand.

"Thought you not that one of those you observed would not have killed you if they caught you!” Kaldir sneered

"Yes, but at least your retribution would be swift and sure, not the lingering torment that would await me at the hands of the elf lady." he felt Kaldir tense at his words but he said nothing.

"So what would you have us do now master Longholes, although my friend here may wish to wring your neck for your misdeeds, I am a ranger and bound by laws and as grievous as your crimes are to me and my friends, they do not warrant as swift and deadly retribution as you think!" Dúlrain looked at him pondering what to do.

"Do with me what you wish, I likely deserve as much, but know this I came here to tell you of Naiore's plans!" but even as he spoke his eyes searched the forest as if wait for danger to suddenly set upon them.

"Why didn't you say that in the first place?" Kaldir growled dragging the now startled hobbit into the camp. He kept his head bent wish to avoid the judgemental look of the two women especially the hobbit who looked somewhat familiar now he got a closer look at her.

Last edited by Nerindel; 03-18-2004 at 05:42 AM.