View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #13
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Tolkien hits it with Melian and Galadriel, if not in LOTR, and to me that alone sets him above PJ's observed work in the matter.
The interesting point about the Bechdal test is that it is not based on personal preference or opinion. It examines how characters relate to each other in specific terms, the topic of their conversations.

When you say that "Tolkien hits it" I really have no idea what you mean except that you approve of or like the characters--which of course is your right. I'm not much of a fan of Galadriel because I don't like the "type" she is, the revered, distant beauty. The emphasis on physical beauty is a drawback to me, but that is my personal opinion. Her characterisation is also confused, rather than consistent, through the ages. This bugs me too.

Melian is more consistent and I like her trait of singing but even there I am bothered by the concept of her "girdle" which maintains the peace and serenity of Doriath. Again, this is my own personal grudge about the idea of a magical barrier that keeps a place safe. I don't believe that 'good' can be maintained against 'evil' that way. It's possible Tolkien didn't either because every time he uses the concept, it fails.

Now, if The Silm had given us an extended passage where the two--Galadriel and Melian--discuss the fate of the world, that would have been something which would have demonstrated their intellect and wisdom. But we don't get that. Mostly we are told of their wise decisions rather than seeing how they negotiate the correct stance. Ultimately, we get a mum who really does not defend her daughter against an overbearing and autocratic husband/father. She never challenges the patriarchy for the sake of her daughter. Again, this is my personal value rather than a guideline for discussing how characters are presented.

I will say that at least Tolkien didn't indulge in pyrotechnics with Galadriel, which a certain director did. With Gandalf, we get exposition about his attraction to the ring. With Galadriel, we get fireworks. I would much rather have seen the actress emote.

Makes me very dubious about this Tauriel. Perhaps her red hair is supposed to be a joke about all those Mary Sues?