Thread: Password
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 05:07 AM   #4613
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
FORTINBRAS: He’s here (or in Norway) because of what an armoured heroine might need.
TOM: He’s three quarters of a particle.
??R????: Confused lad with a messy barnet, he is – crazy!
BILL: Invoice him.
FRODO: Even when a bit muddled, he knows where his towel is.
ECTHELION: Formerly supple, before he knotted up.
VORONWE: Woven or spun, he stands constant.

THEME: NAMES GIVEN TO MORE THAN ONE CHARACTER.

ONCE LITHE = ECTHELION, indeed.

FORTINBRAS is correct, and you are right that I primarily think of him as the third avenger of 'Hamlet,' whose words finish the play, and perhaps momentarily forgot that he's two hobbits as well, rather than a steward or something.

However, it's not 'fought in bras.' Which is not a grammatically correct answer to the clue. And hardly does full justice to the 'armour' element. And I would have added something like 'sounds like' if the spelling was wrong, wouldn't I?

'Because' gives you FOR.

'Armoured heroine' suggests TIN BRAS.

Which an *armoured* heroine might need.

And that is why the letters appear ('why he's here').

(I added the Norway reference because he's not a well-known Thain and I thought it might be a bit difficult without it).

Still, it's rather wonderful that 'fought in bras' is a homophone of 'for tin bras,' which I wouldn't have known if you HAD got the elements right.

You still have the barnet one to guess, don't forget! Chop chop!

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 03-18-2019 at 05:27 AM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote