View Single Post
Old 03-02-2003, 01:02 PM   #9
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like the idea of us comming one by one to Gondor without seeing each other for a millenium. Brinnel will also have to write out Rothalle somehow too, or we could just not mention her at all I guess.

I quickly drafted up an opening post for Mattius and Radagast and Brin suggested I put it up here so here it is!

Mattius laid down into the golden foliage with a sigh of delight. The fall and autumn leaves crackled under his weight as the elf put his hands behind his head. The little river sang close by and birds harmonised beside it. Opening his eyes he looked up at the streams of brilliant sunlight breaking through the naked treetops. He still liked the Golden Woods; even a thousand years after Galadriel had left, Lorien still had something magical and elvish about it.

He sat up and looked for Radagast, the wizard was a few feet away, kneeling down and filling up a flask from the small stream. The birds were dancing about him as he chatted back to them cheerfully. With a straining groan he pushed himself to his feet and the birds flew skywards. Mattius jumped to his feet but spun around when he heard horses hooves on the ground. Indeed there was a tall man dressed in the garb of Gondor riding a tall brown horse.

“Greetings!” Radagast said as the rider slowed his stallion and jumped down.

“Good afternoon to the pair of you,” he replied, “I am Arthos, Messenger of Gondor.” The man removed his helm to reveal his shoulder length black hair and shook hands with the elf and Radagast. “I travel to the Northern Kingdoms of the Dale and The Lonely Mountain but came to these woods to search for a river or stream where I may refill my water supplies.”

“Then you have struck luck good sir,” said Mattius leading him to the stream and helping him fill his flasks. “May I ask why you are heading so far north of Gondor, for it is a long ride.”

“Indeed you may and indeed it is,” Arthos said standing up to face the two travellers. “The King is in search of a hero, there has been problems in Fangorn.” At this Radagast’s mind sparked.

“Fangorn?” He asked in a calm voice.

“Yes I’m afraid so, people have been going in and are not being seen again. That wasn’t so bad, people just tended to avoid it but just recently…” Arthos’ voice trailed off.

“Yes?!” Radagast said almost screaming.

“Well, bodies began to be found, ripped to shreds and now there are rumours of children being stolen from their beds during the dead of night. Things are looking really bad.” For just a second Mattius caught the look in Radagast’s eyes. Pure fear. “But I must be on my way, thank you for your help gentlemen.” With that he put his helm back on, mounted his horse and rode north.

“What is wrong Radagast?” Asked Mattius.
The wizard looked up at the elf.

“We need to go to Minas Tirith Mattius, immediately.” Mattius nodded as Radagast began to walk south in deep thought. He would give Radagast time to speak his worries, one thousand years of being with him had let him know when to leave him be.

[ March 02, 2003: Message edited by: Mattius ]