View Single Post
Old 07-03-2003, 02:25 PM   #24
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

The X Phial has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Pirro yawned and kneaded his cushion before lying down, eyes half closed. The summer heat filled his mind and body with lassitude and he felt an uncharacteristic calm washing over him. The small feline was usually in a state of hypervigilance, but the cats' chamber was deserted but for the pacing form of Yawla, and Pirro felt he could relax. He was worried about the Queen of course, they all were, but he knew his strength wasn't in planning. He was a scout. Normally he didn't let that get in the way of him worrying, especially on a mission. On occasion, however, when he was warm and feeling safe, he let his sisters deal with the details.

At the moment, Yawla was doing more worrying than planning. By now all the cats knew that Earnil would be visiting soon and by the Queen's reaction and subsequent mood, Yawla thought the visit was likely to be unpleasant. Vaguely, Yawla understood this had something to do with her mistress never getting to have her own litter, but it seemed a bit odd to her that Beruthiel would need more companions. She listened to the sound of her brother's purring and was glad he could rest. Yawla worried about his skiddishness from time to time.

The cat door opened and Pirro jumped to his feet, instantly alert. Yawla eyed him sadly and then turned to greet Miaama who was approaching rapidly.

The mistress is still distressed, Yawla. She is mourning the arrival of that cursed boy.

The white cat snarled slightly as she thought this, and Yawla knew Miaama was taking the Queen's sadness personally. She started to answer and was interrupted by the entrance of her sister.

Athel was out of breath but clearly amused. It took several minutes before she calmed down enough to explain herself, and by then Pirro had also relaxed enough to listen, having bolted under a potted plant at Athel's abrupt entrance.

Where have you been, Athel? You smell like dog! Yawla began, but was interrupted.

That's because I have been in the kennel of course. She smiled in a self-satisfied manner. The newest puppies are about ready to hunt, so I thought I'd take a look. Always a good idea to know your enemy you know.

Yawla sighed, Get on with it, Miaama and I don't have all day.

Athel blithely ignored her and continued. Anyway, so I went to have a look. Managed to get in undetected, as well, since the puppies were alone in the kennel and never smelled cat before. They were playing...simpering things, dogs...and I managed to overturn the entire day's scraps into their pen. It was enough to feed 20 dogs, but they ate it all. I stuck around long enough to hear the Hunting Master yelling at them as I ran away. They never knew free food could cost so much. I imagine they will be pretty sick as well. Dogs will eat anything!

Athel finished her tale and ignored Yawla's disapproving, but amused, sigh. She noticed a small smile on Miaama's face, as well. Pirro's reaction really threw her, though. He came up and started grooming her, sadly.

Athel, what if you'd been caught? he worried in his quiet way.

Oh, Pirro, they're just dogs, she replied, but she knew they were all thinking about their mother's death in the jaws of a hunting dog. Athel took every opportunity to try to pay the dogs back, but she knew that Pirro would rather they stay safely out of the way. She decided to change the subject.

What were you talking about when I came in?

It was Miaama who answered, The queen is in distress. I, for one, am tired of seeing her constantly belittled by the king and his followers. I think we need to do something about the arrival of the Royal Heir, but I'm not sure what. Something has to give, though. Our mistress does not deserve such pain.

Yawla purred softly in agreement. Something clearly needed doing. The queen's distress would go away if the child went home.

Maybe we can find a way to send him home, she ventured.

The others considered for a moment and were interrupted by an almost whispered thought.

No. He has to die. He has to go away forever. That's the only way to fix it.

Yawla whipped around and was shocked to realise that it was Pirro who had thought this. Quiet Pirro, who avoided danger like water was suggesting the arranged death the heir.

Miaama growled at him, As if we could do such a thing! Cats cannot kill a human. A healthy boy would be far too strong.

Pirro cringed and looked away. I didn't say it could be done, only that it's the only real solution.

They sat together in the sun, thinking and brooding. The thing seemed impossible, but they agreed with Pirro that it was the only way to make the Queen really happy again.

Cats cannot kill a human, but a human can kill a human. It was Athel, she of the plots and plans. Our contact at the warehouse. He could do it. He has no love for the king, either.

Yawla started pacing again. We are bound to be sent to him tonight. The queen will want to pass on news of the heir's visit, and we are her favorite messengers. We could ask him when we go, but how? None of us can write, and only Miaama can actually talk to the humans.

I will just have to go with you, won't I? But four cats will be too many, draw too much attention. Athel should stay here.
Miaama reasoned.

Yes, Athel, you,Yawla cut off the protest. We can't afford any side trips, Pirro has to go because he carries the messages, and we both know that Pirro will freeze up if I am not there to encourage him.

Pirro looked down, embarrassed. He hated the sweeping panic that overwhelmed him sometimes when he was far away from the palace, but knew that what Yawla said was true, he needed her.

Fine, my idea and I can't even go, Athel pouted. Her mood didn't last long, though. The plot itself was almost as important to her as the execution of it.

The four split up, content with their plan. The siblings would leave as usual with the message and Miaama would take Athel's place in the palace yard. They only had to hope that the Queen wouldn't notice her absence.

They set off directly after dark, two black shadows and one white ghost disappearing into the dusk.