View Single Post
Old 07-23-2003, 02:13 PM   #38
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

The X Phial has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Huine sat in the shadowy courtyard and listened to the clamor in the streets. Something important was happening outside. She dearly wanted to streak through the gates which served as no barrier to an enterprising cat, but Lome and Morna had been very explicit in their instruction; no leaving the palace. It galled her.

Normally, leaving the royal compound was discouraged but not exactly forbidden. Since the unexpected disappearance of Miaama a few days before, however, the queen had been very fragile. The cats had to be within a few minutes of her chambers or she could not rest. They had not even been dispatched to pick up news in town or at the harbor as usual, nor to take messages. Huine hoped Beruthiel would snap out of it soon.

The clamor got louder and Huine crouched low, her ears high and alert on her head. The crowd was close enough for her to make out a few words now. She caught a few snatches, "Earnil" "close call" "accident" "early" "so soon", it was enough to tell her that the best laid plans of black and white cats had gone awry and that it was probably due to the fact that the royal guests had arrived too soon, were coming now, in fact.

Without stopping to consider if she might be seen, Huine dashed across the courtyard, over the garden gate, and into Beruthiel's chambers. The only human in sight was Habeth, but Huine knew the queen was probably in the bed with the curtains drawn as she had been for most of the last few days. Her suspicion was confirmed when a white face peeked out from between the heavy drapes. Miaama had heard her return.

Huine called out to the other cats with her mind. He's here and he's early. That brat is here and he survived your silly plan.

In quick succession seven cats leapt from the bed to join her on the floor, all in varying stages of agitation. From close by she heard the other two coming. They had been in the corridor outside. Huine beamed, they were all paying attention to her now.

Yawla and Miaama were the first to the floor, flanking the young cat and staring at her impassively. The rest followed, Pirro the last from the bed and Athel and Mosi entering from the hall. Yawla briefly wondered what those two had been up to.

Tell us what you know, Huine, Miaama commanded.

Yawla watched as the normally surly cat relayed her news, obviously pleased to be the first with information. As much as she did not like Huine's attitude, Yawla admitted she had good instincts.

So, she said, Farucan has failed. I suppose he is not fully to blame. I wonder that he made an attempt at all given the change in plans. Damn these humans and their complications!

I should have known you'd give up, Yawla, retorted Huine smartly, and Pirro winced, certain he was about to see her smacked. The only two cats close enough to punish Huine however were not really big enough, and Pirro could tell the younger cat was still spoiling for a fight.

Instead, it was Athel that replied. And we should have known you would jump to conclusions, fool. Think a bit. He survived the attempt, but he's in the palace now and will be for a while. There is nothing that says we cannot try again. Let them think it was an accident. Humans underestimate other animals, let it be their downfall.

Whatever we do, Pirro somehow found the courage to add, our mistress cannot know. She was so upset last time. The others agreed silently.

Well, one good thing will come of this, at least. The queen will have to let us roam again, she will need our information too much to keep us locked up, for our safety or otherwise, Yawla concluded, and noted that Pirro looked almost disappointed. He had enjoyed the last few days at home.

The cats sat for a few more minutes, silently considering. Without any discussion they knew they should stay near the queen. She would be awakened with the news soon, any moment perhaps, and would not be pleased. One by one they slipped up into the bed, surrounding Beruthiel with as much of their fierce loyalty as they could, hoping she could feel their love.

Morna, Lome, and Huine were the last on the floor and Morna stood in front of the younger cat when she tried to jump up. You did well today, Huine, she purred.

Huine, for her part, licked her paw smugly. I'm glad you noticed, she preened.

If you speak out of turn like that again, however, I will personally make sure you don't have the strength to go on any missions for a long time, the older cat intoned, sounding almost bored. With that she leapt onto the bed and disappeared through the heavy velvet and brocade.

Huine stopped, mid-lick, eyes wide. Lome chuckled slightly as she passed her niece and joined the others in their vigil, She'll do it, too. Ever wonder why I'm missing a chunk of ear?

Alone on the floor, she recovered quickly. No one understood. Her moment was ruined. Couldn't they see how much she wanted to help, to show her abilities, to prove her value? All she ever got for her trouble was more anger. Even her own team preferred the other cats to her. On the edge of despair she overcame her sadness with determination. If she was rude, it was Athel and Yawla's fault. They thought they knew everything.

A small sound from the bed brought Huine back to the moment, and she jumped onto the bed as lightly as she could, joining the others. From under the queen's chin she thought she saw Pirro and shot him a dirty look, little suck up. To her surprise all she got from him in return was a friendly smile.

[ July 23, 2003: Message edited by: The X Phial ]