View Single Post
Old 02-05-2004, 05:45 PM   #1
Lady Of Light
Animated Skeleton

Lady Of Light has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Lady Of Light Send a message via AIM to Lady Of Light
Sting Tolkien- For the Love of Eowyn!

I just finished reading the LOTR trilogy for the third (and most delightful) time. And suddenly, as I was reading, I was struck by how incredibly unfounded peoples' accusations are concerning Tolkien's view of women. I know that this has been discussed here before, but I just wonder why no one has stamped out the suspician of sexism!

I think the entire answer to this enigma lies definitely in my favorite character of all time and an upstanding gal, Eowyn. We need to realize that Tolkien was writing back into a time and place much like a more pleasant version of the middle ages. He elevated a few women (such as Galadriel and Goldberry) to a sort of semi-deity stance, but they hold more respect from their magical power and beauty than from anything that a "normal" woman would have. Women are revered, yet kept under wraps for the most part. Some people would have a legitimate problem with this (I personally don't).

HOWEVER- this is not the only way Tolkien portrays women! The lovely Eowyn takes center stage for a while, and says some really remarkable things.

Take this quote, from Eowyn, to Aragorn when he explains why she cannot go to battle for Rohan:
"All your words are but to say: you are a woman, and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you have leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more. But I am of the house of Eorl and not a serving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death."

Tolkien would not have dared to put these words in the lips of a woman and have her carry out her dream had he been a sexist. He also resolves Eowyn's sad and convoluded story nicely, giving her (and the reader) peace of mind that all turned out okay for the gal who spoke her mind.

So, I really wanted to get that quote out there, and if you want to challenge me on this, let's go! But hey, I fear neither pain nor death.