View Single Post
Old 02-06-2004, 07:49 AM   #9
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

The question of Arwen's might was raised; I know there's not much about it, even in the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen in Appendix A, but what little there is, I would like to present. As a matter of fact, I have just recently chosen this sentence as my signature quote!
Quote:
Arwen remained in Rivendell, and when Aragorn was abroad, from afar she watched over him in thought; and in hope she made for him a great and kingly standard, such as only one might display who claimed the lordship of the Númenoreans and the inheritance of Elendil.
Now, I'm sure it's often been speculated just what this "watching over" constitutes, and it is open to interpretation, since Tolkien (deliberately?) says no more about it. But I would think that she exerts some kind of protective influence over her beloved, who is involved in many dangerous journeys. (Interestingly, even the movie picked up this train of thought.)

Some people speak rather derisively about her (female stereotypical) needlework project, but even that seems to have more behind it than just embroidery. I'd like to speculate that her power gave Aragorn power, combining into what made him the King. The "whole" of those two was definitely more than just the sum of their individual parts.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote