View Single Post
Old 04-09-2004, 10:36 PM   #42
Dininziliel
Wight

Dininziliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Saucepan--

I'm nearing the 3/4 mark in The Letters of . . . and had just gone back earlier this evening and made a note on one that I think will add to your last post. It is Letter #194 and concerns the 1956 BBC radio dramatization. The adapter/producer had written to ask how the characters' "accents" [Tolkien's quotes, not mine] should be portrayed. Tolkien replied:
Quote:
. . . it would probably be better to avoid certain, actual or conventional, features of modern 'vulgar' English in representing Orcs, such as the dropping of aitches (these are, I think, not dropped in the text, and that is deliberate). . . I have no doubt that, if this 'history' were real, all users of the C[ommon] Speech would reveal themselves by their accent, differing in place, people, and rank, but that cannot be represented when C.S. is turned into English--and is not (I think) necessary. I paid great attention to such linguistic differentiation as was possible: in diction, idiom, and so on . . . The Rohirrim no doubt (as our ancient English ancestors in a similar state of culture and society) spoke, at least their own tongue, with a slower tempo and more sonorous articulation, than modern "urbans'. But I think it is save to represent them when using C.S., as they practicallyalways do (for obvious reasons) as speaking the best M[inas] T[irith]. Possibly a little too good, as it would be a learned language, somewhat slower and more careful than a native's. But that is a nicety safely neglected, and not always true.
The earlier portion adds to our understanding of how Ioreth & others come across so clearly as, well, who they are--Tolkien took such care with their syntax & expressions. It is, in many cases, so subtle that only a linguist/philologist (or Barrow Downer ) would be able to discern them. Some, like Sam, are much more obvious. I wonder if, given a sampling of speech (not from the book) of Elves, Hobbits, wizards, and Men, we could tell them apart.

Anyway, after reading this letter again, I'd like to add "diction, idiom, and so on" to the list as minor characters that have a big impact.

(The bit about the Rohirrim is included for the sheer effect it may have on one's internal audio while reading Eowyn's dialogue with Aragorn--I know it will enrich my personal soundtrack )

Osse, & Doug-- "Dwarves". . . "miners" . . . "Harf" . . . gosh, but I love this place!