View Single Post
Old 04-30-2004, 06:47 AM   #47
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
VE-02: I don't see a problem with the additions from AB2. They are taken in to add some detail but that we would need such additions in this chapter was clear from the start. Other wise the break between FoG and FoD would be unbearable. I can see the problem with Q77. They have no as fare as I am aware of no direct source in the writings of JRR Tolkien, and some are only variants of wording which we should aviode. This applies also to VE-04.

VE-05: Could it be an alternativ to switch the §§? In the Moment we have: The Fugitives settle at Sirions mouth; Ulmo's talk to the Valar; the tale of Eärendils youth; Tour's depature.
If we take the additions from BoLT one § earlier that would give:
The Fugitives settle at Sirions mouth; the tale of Eärendils youth; Ulmo's talk to the Valar; Tour's depature.
It is clear that between Eärendils youth and Tour's depature some time elapsed, thus the intrusion of Ulmo's visit to Valinor would fill that time gap in the narritive.

VE-08: I am not very happy to lose the encounter with Ungoliant completly. It is clear that we can not say that he had slain her, but success full fight with the waever of darkness in the south was never gainsiad, as fare as I know (or do I overlook some fact here?). So couldn't we chang it like this:
Quote:
Vingilot he built, fairest of the ships of song, the Foamflower; white were its timbers as the argent moon, golden were its oars, silver were its shrouds, its masts were crowned with jewels like stars. In the Lay of {Eärendel} [Eärendil] is many a thing sung of his adventures in the deep and in lands untrodden, and in many seas and many isles. Ungoliantë in the South he {slew}[fought], and her darkness was destroyed, and light came to many regions which had yet long been hid. But Elwing sat sorrowing at home.
VE-10: My Additions to that § concerning Galdor and Eglamoth were not only based on the Gnomisch Lexicon (given as the appendix of Names in BoLT2) but were word by word taken from them. That is what makes them a bit blocky in my view. But the real issue in that section is still Gilgalad, I think.

VE-14: If we in the end come to the conclusion that Melkor was never chained with Angainor before than I would think that we should alter the sentence to:
Quote:
Then he was bound with the chain Angainor, [with ]which he had {worn}[been threatened] aforetime; and his iron crown they beat into a collar for his neck, and his head was bowed upon his knees. But Eönwë took the two Silmarils which remained and guarded them.
VE-20 Do these additions from MT "badly interupt the prose"? I can not feel that, but I am no native speaker, and thus no good judge in this matter. The additions are clearly not really neccessary, thus we could go with out them.

VE-21: Yes, we should discuss the issue of the second phrophecy in that old thread. (I must really re-read it, to get back into that issue.)

VE-23: I agree with Aiwendil here.
Quote:
I don't really see the point of either of the "appendices", quite frankly. I don't see a need to include Bilbo's song, and I don't see why the second prophecy of Mandos should be split off from the body of the text.
Agreed, for both appendices.

The Galadriel issue: I have a strong feeling that we should not deal with Galadriel situation if we can aviod it. If we do make it in the end through all the First Age stuff and come to the Second Age we must of course incooperate Of Galadiel and Celeborn but we should not make any decission before that time, and even if RGEO is cannon, we should aviod pointing at it here. What is justified from RGEO is to alter the sentence as followes:
Quote:
VE-18
And when they came into the West the {Gnomes} [Elves of Beleriand] for the most part rehabited the Lonely Isle, that looks both West and East; and that land became very fair, and so remains. But some returned even to Valinor{, as all were free to do who willed}; and there the {Gnomes} [Noldor] were admitted again to the love of Manwë and the pardon of the Valar; and the Teleri forgave their ancient grief, and the curse was laid to rest.
Thus we would allow the ban for some leaders but not making it explicit here, with out need.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote