View Single Post
Old 01-17-2005, 12:35 AM   #3
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril *inhales*

First and foremost, from the previous CbC thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
...do you think what she says about laying his axe to the right tree has a meaning that is important to the plot, as the other two messages do?
Here's what I found in this chapter, as Gandalf and the rest were about to enter Meduseld and were hindered by Hama...
Quote:
"Not alone," said Gimli, fingering the blade of his axe, and looking darkly up at the guard, as if he were a young tree that Gimli had a mind to fell. (emphasis mine)
Galadriel might have been telling Gimli to know who his real enemies are.

Now, into the chapter. The concept of hope in the form of light in this chapter is so overwhelming. At first, Rohan can be seen as a dark place, having no hope because of Theodred's death and Isengard's treachery. This darkness began to weigh on Theoden, as we find out later on...
Quote:
"Dark have been my dreams of late..." (Theoden)
Quote:
"Not all is dark...Too long have you sat in the shadows..." (Gandalf)
When Gandalf was uncloaked, all else became dark around him, with himself being the only source of light. This goes to show that Rohan has him as their only hope...which will be proven in the battle of Helm's Deep (but that's another story).

After this, Theoden has been released from the spell; the house of Eorl was renewed. And a new hope awakened in Meduseld because of this...a hope that has its source in Gandalf.
Quote:
Slowly Theoden left his chair. A faint light grew in the hall again.
Then Theoden walked to the door with Gandalf...and as the door was opened, hope spread throughout Rohan!
Quote:
The sky above and to the west was still dark with thunder...suddenly through a rent in the clouds behind them a shaft of Sun stabbed down. (emphasis mine)
Finally, Theoden developed a personal hope in the "ultimate hope" as Gandalf told him of the Ringbearer's quest.
Quote:
But ever as he spoke the light shone brighter in Theoden's eye... (emphasis mine)
EDIT: In this chapter is a prophecy of the fall of Isengard:
Quote:
From the king's hand the black staff fell clattering on the floor.
This staff may be seen as a symbol of Théoden's dotage under Saruman's spell (not the movie kind ~Nilp) through Gríma. Théoden was released through the power of the white staff . . . the staff of Gandalf.

(Now I know a little how CRT feels doing UT and HoME. ~Nilp)

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 01-17-2005 at 01:16 AM. Reason: This is Nilpaurion. She forgot some stuff. Of course, she is always forgetful . . .
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote