View Single Post
Old 04-11-2007, 01:08 AM   #87
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
But "magic" isn't "magic" to the Elves.
I disagree. Legolas sets himself apart from even Aragorn and Boromir in term of his ability - he does not consider it normal or ubiquitous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ring goes south, FotR
The strongest must seek a way, say you? But I say: let a ploughman plough, but choose an otter for swimming, and for running light over grass and leaf or over snow-an Elf
The leader of the elves also notes the peculiarity of the elven cloacks:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farewell to Lorien, FotR
And you will find them a great aid in keeping out of the sight of unfriendly eyes, whether you walk among the stones or the trees.
to a great effect:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riders of Rohan
In pairs they galloped by, and though every now and then one rose in his stirrups and gazed ahead and to either side, they appeared not to perceive the three strangers sitting silently and watching them. The host had almost passed when suddenly Aragorn stood up, and called in a loud voice
- And strange too is your raiment. Have you sprung out of the grass? How did you escape our sight?
What Galadriel and Tolkien dislike is the confusion of Men between magic used by elves and magic used by the enemy, which is an altogether different thing from saying that they discard the notion of magic itself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letter #131
I have not used 'magic' consistently, and indeed the Elven-queen Galadriel is obliged to remonstrate with the Hobbits on their confused use of the word both for the devices and operations of the Enemy, and for those of the Elves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror of Galadriel, FotR
For this is what your folk would call magic. I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem also to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letter #155
I am afraid I have been far too casual about 'magic' and especially the use of the word; though Galadriel and others show by the criticism of the 'mortal' use of the word, that the thought about it is not altogether casual.
The Enemy's operations are by no means all goetic deceits, but 'magic' that produces real effects in the physical world. But his magia he uses to bulldoze both people and things, and his goeteia to terrify and subjugate. Their magia the Elves and Gandalf use (sparingly): a magia, producing real results (like fire in a wet faggot) for specific beneficent purposes. Their goetic effects are entirely artistic and not intended to deceive: they never deceive Elves (but may deceive or bewilder unaware Men) since the difference is to them as clear as the difference to us between fiction, painting, and sculpture, and 'life'.