View Single Post
Old 10-08-2004, 09:29 AM   #1
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
The Return of the Flashback

*flashback* A pair of tongs are seen pouring a heated liquid into a mould.
Narrator: It began with the forging of the Great Rings...

*flashback* Voices are heard from the Misty Mountains.
Gandalf: You cannot pass!

*flashback* We see a young hobbit, Sméagol, gently fingering a worm, and as the camera zooms out, we see that he and his cousin Déagol, are sitting in a small boat on the river Anduin
Déagol: Sméagol! I've got one! I've got a fish, Sméag!

All three Lord of the Rings films begin with a short scene telling about a past time, and flashbacks are used very much through the whole trilogy. In the books, as we know, after the fellowship practically split in three at Rauros, Tolkien concentrated first on the other group and then the other. Therefore he jumped back in time as he in turn followed Frodo & Sam and the others. On film the storyline is otherwise chronological, but there are lots of short flashbacks. Now, I didn't count, how many flashbacks there are (if anyone has too much spare time, then be my guest...), but quite many, anyway.

The relationship between Aragorn and Arwen, for example, is pretty much based on several flashbacks, whereas in the book that's appendix stuff. So, how do you feel about those scenes? Were they good and did they contribute the story telling? Can you come up with a better option for flashbacks?
Share your thoughts!