View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir Jones View Post
recording of Tolkien 'imitating' Sam singing 'The Stone Troll':

When I listen to this recording, I always get a thrill; because it's the nearest I can get to hearing how an 'ordinary' hobbit singing was supposed to sound.

Middle-earth owes its existence, literally and mythically, to the impact of sound - in the languages Tolkien created, and in the music of Ilúvatar’s imagination... (p. 147)
I have that recording somewhere, I think on the "Tolkien reads excerpts" set of CDs. It is engaging, and very enjoying. The whole story of The Stone Troll is a challenge to me, because of its humor: the same man who penned "The leaves were long, the grass was green" also penned "Thy nuncle was dead as a lump o' lead afore I stole his shinbone."

Middle-earth humor is challenging to me. What do Hobbits laugh at? What do elves laugh at? When Lindir laughs at Bilbo I am tempted to be offended on Bilbo's part, but Bilbo is not. Rangers? Rohirrim? They all find plenty to laugh about. But it seems that we are given the humorous songs of only the hobbits.

Except in The Hobbit. There we are given marvelous musical glimpses of elvish humor-- singing at barrels; lullabies with humor in them; Tra-La-La-Lally is one of my favorite songs. Have you heard the Hobbiton version? You must hear it. If you don't have it, let me know.

We are told about mirth for most of the races. We are told that they sing and laugh. But I wish we read more of it.

Joy is a clever and evasive quarry. Sometimes I envy Tolkien that he was able to enjoy writing such things as "The Stone Troll."