View Single Post
Old 01-26-2005, 10:17 AM   #13
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Fordim: An interesting idea about metaphors, though I think I may disagree. You say:

Quote:
But in Middle-earth this line between the false or impossible statement and the real meaning falls apart: in a way, metaphor is not compatible with magic – when Tolkien says “the trees whispered their secrets to one another” it really happens.
I don't think that this can be true, at least not entirely. There are still things that are possible in Middle-earth and things that are impossible. There are still metaphors in the texts that are merely metaphors and not literally true. The trouble is that the existence of magic often makes it difficult to decipher which statements are metaphors and which are describing true but strange things. This is what leads some to hold fast, for example, to the absurd notion that Felarof, the horse of Eorl, could fly because he had wings on his hooves.

It does, then, make sense to ask whether some statement is true or is a metaphor. Either Anduril gives off light or it doesn't; and it's not inconceivable that Tolkien could have intended it not to magically shine and still have written what he wrote, intending it as a mere metaphor.

To take a similar example: it is said in book V chapter 4 of the Witch-king's sword that "flames ran down the blade". Now for years I thought the Witch-king had a sword that was literally on fire. Only a few years ago did I realize that this statement follows a description of the great fires and red light out beyond the gate, in the field of Pelennor. Now when I re-read this it comes across to me quite clearly as meaning that the Witch-king's sword, raised in front of this red glare, is outlined by the fires behind. Now I could be wrong - maybe the sword really is on fire. But clearly it is at least possible (and, I think, probable) that the statement is not literally true.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote