View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #22
Moonraker
Banned

Moonraker has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigūr View Post
No one knew that there was a Balrog in Moria, however. They knew that there was something but not what it was.

Moreover, how could Gandalf have simply "called on the help of the Eagles"? The only reason Gwaihir came to Isengard was because Radagast sent him. Later, around the time of the Council of Elrond, Radagast had disappeared. So I don't see how the Eagles were an option out in the wilderness. They appeared at other times when they were sent by someone else who had access to them.

As was established by Elrond, no one was under any obligation to do anything except Frodo himself, so I don't see how trying to force the issue by coercing Gandalf would have achieved anything. Wouldn't Aragorn "arresting" Gandalf (as implausible as the notion is in itself) have completely contradicted the fact that in the end it was Frodo who really had the final say in what happened?
Only at Rivendell could word have been sent to get the Eagles on board further down the road, and I doubt Gwaihir would have refused to help Gandalf, having saved him twice before.

Was Frodo really in charge of the fate of the Ring? He was only the Ring bearer, not the leader of the Company. Also Elrond said other members of the Company could handle the Ring, if in great need. I don't recall Gandalf saying, ''Let the Ring bearer decide'', as in the movies?