Old 03-19-2003, 06:01 AM   #19
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Voralphion you posted:
Quote:
What about Luthien...?
Luthien was not 'just an elf' she alone of all of the 'elves' had a Maia for a mother, so I attribute Luthien's abilities never again shown by an Elf [casting down Walls by her word, putting Morgoth to sleep!, cuasing her her to do a Rapunzel, etc.] I will admit Luthien was probably more powerful than Galadriel but it was due to her 1/2 divine DNA.

Adanedhel - as regards Elves growing in power, it is something of an assumption on my part, I agree, but I surmise that since Elves and Men are two branches of One race, and as Men can certainly can grow in power and being over time I assume the Eldar can also, if the elves 'fea' consumes their bodies over the ages [the fading of the Elves] then is not their fea growing? or is it just 'eating'?

A good question.

And I agree we can not assume that because Galadriel 'studied ' with Melian she was needs be bore powerful than say Glorfindel. Although it is [within M-E at least]an exceptional occurance.

My attribution of her growing in power was due to the earlier argument about Elf/Human nature in general, not reliant upon training.

Also it would help to clarify the differnce between skill and power, clearly Galadriel's skill increased over the ages, oneis hard pressed to imagine her abilities with Osanwe coming full blore upon her at birth. But is it necessarily tied to an increase of power?

In the case of those living in Lorien during the timeo f the usage of the ring to hold back time, this seems to have had an extremely rejuvenating effect, so that being the case could/would that not increase one's 'power' over the years?

It is such an intriguing question I will start a new topic on it.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.