View Single Post
Old 11-16-2002, 01:18 PM   #24
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Best keep that map safe, and secret, Holly."

"What!" cried Olo, "you're not going along with this cracked scheme of hers, are you Miss Birdie?"

"No, I am not "going along" with the cracked scheme. I am, however, going along with Holly. She has been too good a friend to leave her to go wandering into this by herself. She will need someone to pull those furry feet out of the fire before long, and I intend to be there when it happens."

The thought of the flighty skinchanger "protecting" Holly did little to comfort Olo. "That's the trouble with these times," muttered the Hobbit. "To many women-folk getting themselves involved in things that are best left to their betters. Should be staying at home and tending to their hearths.

"Their hearths?" Birdie snorted. "Listen, you insulated, isolated young stablehand. I've had two 'hearths' burnt down around my ears, and I owe it all to the actions of my 'betters'. Oh, I know, 'grave forces are at work. Evil must be thwarted'. But while the lofty Lords of Elves and Men are doing the battling, they have little time to care for us lesser folk. We can only get out of the way and take care of our own."

Bird couldn't believe that she was defending Holly's plans, but Olo didn't know what things were like out in the wide world, and how many poor women, and men, had lost all due to the ravages of Sauron's forces, and the resulting battles conducted against them. The Wilderness was full of refugees and fugitives. It could only get worse in these lawless times.

"A little gold can go a long way, when it comes to keeping a person safe in these times. Though again," and here Bird looked at her friend, "I don't think you'll see much of it from this Castle Maladil. Not after the Elves and the Wizard have been through it."

"Elven maps", Olo grumbled in disgust, "Those things should be handed over to Gandalf, straight away. Maybe he would pay you for them, and then you wouldn't have to be going off seeking treasure."

"Not likely", said Holly, "he'd probably give me a pat on the head as he flew off to pore over them, and forget all about the source. No, this map is mine, to do as I see fit." Holly patted her pocket where she had hid the map, and looked at both of her friends. "So, are you with me?"

[ November 16, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]