View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #89
Landroval
Newly Deceased

Landroval has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
That weakness in Smaug's armor always annoyed me, but then again he did need a weakness in order to get killed.

My problem with the theory presented is that never before have I encountered evidence of the Silmarils "gem melting potential". If it burned in such a manner, then surely it would also melt gold and gems underneath it and eventually end up in the bottom of Smaug's treasure pile? Or have I misunderstood your theory?

Also it is true that other pieces of gems and gold became encrusted, where as the Arkenstone didn't. However I am quite sure that the vast majority of gems and gold did not become encrusted, like the cup that Bilbo took. The point is that by not becoming encrusted, the Arkenstone is actually doing exactly what the average piece of jewellery would do in such a situation.
Yes, I may not have explained the idea probably. Basically, the Silmarils as hallowed items burn those of evil spirit who touch them. Morgoth was able to wear them in a crown with no ill effect to the crown itself, but when he touched them his hands were burned black. Others have also been be burned by them such as the wolf Carcharoth and the Sons of Feanor. Others were not, such as King Thingol, who might be seen as just as arrogant and possessive as Thorin.

Therefore the Arkenstone (providing its a Silmaril) could burn Smaug, as he was one of Morgoth's creations but would not be melting the gold beneath.

The idea of a Silmaril being able to be reshaped if it was exposed to the mantel for long enough was a separate issue and not related to the idea of burning a hole in Smaug's armor.

I hope that clarifies my point, and doesn't make it more confusing.

Side note, I don't believe the cup that Bilbo took as on top of the hoard, seeing as Smaug was in the chamber at the time.

"Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends."
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote