View Single Post
Old 08-25-2004, 01:53 PM   #9
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I like Fordim's post about the "All that is gold does not glitter" verse. I do agree that the first line could equally apply to The Ring. It is in fact a line which seems to apply to many aspects of Middle Earth (and, indeed, to life itself). Sam is a hero wrapped in the guise of a humble hobbit, and Faramir is another who is good, yet at first glance seems rough. Then we have Saruman, in his lofty, noble tower, yet he is not good at all. But I have always thought that the first six lines of this verse could equally be made to apply to Gandalf.

All That is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;

Gandalf is himself a roughly dressed figure with the appearance of an old man. Yet age does not affect him, and he is stronger than anyone might expect - his 'deep roots'. The fire and the light come from the power inherent in his ring of power, and I often think these lines could also apply to his 'resurrection' after the balrog takes him into the abyss.

This chapter has stayed with me since my very first reading, particularly when Aragorn reveals his stature after Sam's challenge. This was a very striking and vivid image to me, he became the very picture of a commanding hero, a military leader and king. It also reminds me of portraits of historical figures like Nelson. The protagonists in the book see Aragorn every day in his guise as a ranger - and at moments such as this it is as though he has revealed his 'public' or noble persona.

Quote:
He stood up, and seemed suddenly to grow taller. In his eyes gleamed a light, keen and commanding. Throwing back his cloak, he laid his hand on the hilt of a sword that had hung concealed by his side. They did not dare to move.
Lalwendė is offline   Reply With Quote