View Single Post
Old 08-25-2004, 07:13 PM   #10
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
As many people have said, Aragorn's poem is one of my favorite bits of the chapter, and of the book. (Nice post on this, Fordim!) It was in fact the first piece that I ever memorized. This chapter and the two following ones are also among my very favorite chapters, perhaps my single favorite sequence of events in the book.

Though I do enjoy Gandalf's letter, I have often wondered how it would have fallen out if there had been no letter. Based on Frodo's comments, I think they would have ended up taking Aragorn with them anyway, but it still intrigues me.

Something interesting that struck me was the line "After Weathertop our journey will become more difficult, and we will have to choose between various dangers." Ever since the discussion in the Chapter 2 thread I have been particularly sensitive to lines and phrases that might be foreshadowing, and this is one of those that stood out. If only they knew how much more difficult it would be.

Also interesting how Strider's image changes throughout the chapter. At the start, he is Strider, a rascally-looking character who at the start seems to want more than Frodo wants to give. Even the name "Strider" is rather vegabond-ish, though eventually it becomes an affectionate (maybe that isn't the right word) name among the hobbits. As the chapter goes on, we see that Strider knows more than is perhaps safe, compounded by the fact that neither Barliman nor Sam seem to trust him at all. Then there is Gandalf's letter, and like the hobbits we can be relieved that this Strider really is on their side. He has an actual name now, Aragorn, and he basically swears to help Frodo in whatever way he can, whether living or dying. (Another favorite line: "But I am the real Strider, fortunately," he said, looking down at them with his face softened by a sudden smile. "I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and if by life or death I can save you, I will.")
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote