View Single Post
Old 11-29-2004, 02:06 AM   #17
gorthaur_cruel
Haunting Spirit

gorthaur_cruel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Mithrandir was a Maiar, one of the most powerful, in level with Sauron.
Quote:
Gandalf,or Olorin,was the wisest of all Maia,so he would be a fair match to Sauron.
I think that it is obvious that Gandalf was no match for Sauron in terms of sheer power. Tolkien himself sort of said this in letter #183(This was written as a note, so I only put in the actual note and the sentence that the note was referring to. And the passage is talking about Sauron):
Quote:
...But he went further than human tyrants in pride and the lust for domination, being in origin an immortal (angelic) spirit.*

*Of the same kind as Gandalf and Saruman, but of a far higher order
I interpret "far higher order" meaning that Sauron was a far greater Maia than Gandalf or Saruman. The "same kind" obviously refers to the fact that they were all Maiar.

Anyway, IMO, the Witch King is no match for Gandalf. Reasons:
1.The Witch King's greatest power was terror, which did not affect Gandalf.
2. Gandalf already faced all 9 Nazguls on Weathertop. He was forced to flee, but this was against all 9, at night, before he was enhanced as G. the White. As G. the White against just one Nazgul...
3. Gandalf forced 5 Nazguls to flee around Minas Tirith. I doubt that the WK has 5x as much power as the other Nazguls...
4. Gandalf's a Maia, WK is a Man. Case closed...

So I'm pretty disappointed how the RotK: EE makes Gandalf lose like nothing vs. the Witch King.
gorthaur_cruel is offline   Reply With Quote