Thread: Orcs/Goblins
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2002, 01:32 PM   #3
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Orcs are goblins. They're the same. 'Goblins' is the term Tolkien uses to describe the smaller orcs through Chapter 3: Uruk-hai of The Two Towers. These smaller orcs have come from the Mines of Moria in the Misty Mountains - just as the orcs in The Hobbit, making the use of the term consistent, while the orcs (including Uruk-hai) from Isengard are referred to as 'orcs'. You may recall the confrontation between Uglśk (Isengarder) and Grishnįkh (goblin from the north). Grishnįkh tells us where he is from:

Quote:
We have come all the way from the Mines to kill, and avenge our folk. I wish to kill, and then go back north.
Then we see the size differences and the terms used to denote each:

Quote:
In the twilight he saw a large black Orc, probably Uglśk, standing facing Grishnįkh, a short crook-legged creature, very broad and with long arms that hung almost to the ground. Round them were many smaller goblins. Pippin supposed that these were the ones from the North. They had drawn their knives and swords, but hesitated to attack Uglśk. Uglśk shouted, and a number of other Orcs of nearly his own size ran up.
Quote:
The hobbits felt Grishnįkh's fingers twitch. 'O ho!' hissed the goblin softly. 'That's what he means, is it? O ho! Very ve-ry dangerous, my little ones.'
Tolkien regretted using that term in The Hobbit later on, hence the switch to using 'orcs' more often.

Letter 151:

Quote:
Your preference of goblins to orcs involves a large question and a matter of taste, and perhaps historical pedantry on my pan. Personally I prefer Orcs (since these creatures are not 'goblins', not even the goblins of George MacDonald, which they do to some extent resemble).
[ December 08, 2002: Message edited by: Legalos ]