View Single Post
Old 09-30-2016, 05:20 PM   #61
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Now we've reached my least favorite chapter. I'm intrigued by Old Man Willow and the Barrow-wight, because of the depth it provides to placing this long tale into a much longer and deeper history. But Tom annoys me.

It's not the poetry, singing, and random oddball-ness of his character. I just try not to read too much into Tom's character and nature, but the fact that much about Tom is an enigma means he attracts a lot of curiosity and questions. I read this chapter and just push Tom aside as an enigma, and leave it at that. I find no interest in trying to uncover anything else about his character, because someone who is 'outside the Lord of the Rings story,' I don't like spending so much time on trying to figure Tom out.

And his appearance in the story seems like a deus ex machina to me. But this has intrigued me recently, I remember I think Inzil bringing it up in a different thread:

Quote:
'Did I hear you calling? Nay, I did not hear: I was busy singing. Just chance brought me then, if chance you call it. It was no plan of mine, though I was waiting for you. We heard news of you, and learned that you were wondering...'
We find out at some point that Maggot has had communication with Bombadil, but I don't think Maggot knew Frodo's plan to leave the Shire. Gildor knew, so perhaps Gildor's elves alerted Bombadil that Frodo might be in the area. However, I'm having trouble figuring out what Tom means by this...he was waiting for Frodo but chance brought him and 'it was no plan of mine'?