View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 09:13 AM   #53
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Wouldn't one need to keep Legolas out of 'New Ossiriand' as well? considering that it became a seaside kingdom.

The first entry in Appendix B for the Second Age concerns the Foundation of Lindon and the Grey Havens. The text concerning the Sindar and Thranduil appears just before the entries begin of course, including information about who lived in this 'new' Lindon (called the 'Kingdom of Lindon' in drafts).

The Second Age

'(...) In the beginning of this Age many of the High Elves still remained. Most of these dwelt in Lindon west of the Ered Luin; but before the building of the Barad-dûr many of the Sindar passed eastward, and some established realms in the forests far away, where their people were mostly Silvan Elves. Thranduil, king in the North of Greenwood the Great, was one of these. In Lindon north of the Lune...' The Return of the King Appendix B

Here I think the suggestion is that the Sindar dwelt in Lindon at this time, but at some point before the building of the Barad-dûr, Thranduil and others went East and etc. I guess one might argue that if he left before the building of the Barad-dûr it could have been well before, despite that the context seems to imply (to my mind) 'sometime after they lived in Lindon, but yet before the building of the Barad-dûr'. According to Appendix B this span is about one thousand years.

Compare to another description in Of The Rings Of Power And The Third Age (noting the sequence of description): the destruction of Beleriand is described, Ossiriand is explained: 'that country had of old been named Lindon'. Next: 'Upon the Shores of the Gulf of Lhûn the Elves built their havens...' and then comes...

'Others of the Eldar there were who crossed the mountains of Ered Luin in this age and passed into the inner lands. Many of these were Teleri, survivors of Doriath and Ossiriand; and they established realms among the Silvan Elves in woods and mountains far from the sea,...' Of The Rings Of Power And The Third Age

Here these Eldar are said to have crossed the Ered Luin in this Age, and the new realms established are far from the Sea.

For interest maybe, in the drafts 'Remnants of the Telerian Elves (of Doriath in ancient Beleriand) establish realms in the woodlands far eastward...' is under the entry for Second Age 750 (Thranduil is mentioned). Obviously this version contains details that were changed in any case, but it still seems to me, from the overall texts, that these Elves began the Second Age in Lindon.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote