View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #29
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post

But this is all a sort of meta-discussion. The basic point being, and you said that, the Goblin thing is not in tune with the Hobbit. And for me, not even the sled - from what I have seen. But truth be told, we haven't seen very much yet. Heck, it's a three minute trailer (and on top of that, very probably made to contain the scenes aiming at certain kind of audience).
Well indeed! I think much of the criticism can't be levelled at it yet (even if it's going to be levelled at all) because all we've seen are some trailers and we all know that trailers are basically adverts aimed at specific people.

I'm convinced that the rabbit sled is going to work. At first I was "Whaaaat?" But then I thought about how 'wacky' The Hobbit actually is and I think as far as invention goes, it may well be a good one. It's rather like the Olympic opening ceremony, which sounded like it was going to be either "so bad, it's good" or "carcrash", either way it would be worth seeing - and it turned out to be a work of insane genius.

Quote:
Huh, I had to even look up who Richard Curtis is. On wikipedia. (Tells something about me, I know. ) But apart from Mr. Bean, if you are thinking that when somebody says "British humour", I imagine Love Actually or such, then that's certainly wrong. I was never thinking of anything of that sort, for sure.
Thank goodness! I can't begin to tell you how terminally embarrassed I am by some of the stuff that 'represents' British culture that gets exported.

Quote:
No, it's average accent of something. Since I am an outsider, let me say how I hear it (but of course many outsiders' experiences would tell you differently, based on their expertise in English): Ian McKellen has "normal English". Likewise I think Sean Bean. These Dwarven guys have an accent, however, and that's it.
I'm beginning to think that they may be aiming for actual 'regional' accents for the different Dwarves, as James Nesbitt has retained his Ulster accent, whereas Aidan Turner doesn't seem to be using his native Irish, and it would be very easy (to non-British ears) to pass them off as sounding like they came from the same region. Though knowing both actors, the former probably can't hide his, it's so strong, but the latter has proved to be skilled at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radagastly
Here in the U.S I have a good friend that feels the same way. Whether the accent is Irish, Scottish or Welsh, to him, they all sound "fake" or "pretentious," over the top scenery chewing. He hated Billy Boyd's accent despite my telling him that's just the way he talks. I think (in his case) that it's because these accents have a lilt to them, a musicality lacking in the more "generic" versions of spoken English. This gives these accents a theatrical quality that seems almost deliberate, like these actors are trying too hard to enhance the attention they get out of their part. Personally, I like it, though if it really was deliberate, I probably wouldn't.
I have been known to lay on my accent with a trowel if it gains me an advantage. And a Lancashire accent has plenty of rhoticity and 'singing'. So I think I know what this 'theatrical element' is