Thread: Gay subtext?
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2001, 10:44 PM   #31
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

Whoa! I understand the passionate feelings everyone who has been involved in discussing this subject seems to have, but let's not be cruel and gang up on each other. We're acting like children. Can we not have a conversation without animosity?
I do believe there is plenty of validity in what Kate has said; but may I disagree on one point?
You say that LotR is not about romance, it's about good vs. evil. But is love not the truest antidote to evil? On one side, the filthy orcs, the deluded Saruman, the horrible "eye", the Balrog (with wings or without-however you may like it [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ) On the other side, love, beauty, and honor. Of course, in the book, nothing is quite as plain as that...What I am trying to say I think Tolkien did speak about love, he just did it in a different way than we are accustomed to. And discounting romantic love as "filth" is not the course I would agree on, in literature, or in life.