View Single Post
Old 11-01-2002, 05:05 AM   #213
Kettle of fish
Wight

Kettle of fish has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

"Nobody strange has come through yet. Cept for you lot."

The boy paused.

"I'm going with you. I have to, anyway, cos Gus tells me. And listening to Gus is what keeps you alive, everyone knows that."
He looked at the uncomprehending faces before him.

"You know, Gus." he continued, pointing to his stomach.

"I think he means 'guts'" Remdil interjected.

"Yeah, Gus. Gus is that little voice here," again he pointed, "that's real smart, even smarter than your brain sometimes. Which is obvious of course since the food goes straight there. Plus, there's more Gus than brains to think with."

The urchin had become very serious now. Some people say that everyone has a religion of some sort, that everyone deeply and fervently believes in something. And the boy wanted to show that while he was still cautious of the three adults before him, he was going to trust them for now because Gus told him.

"You always gotta listen to Gus. If you don't, he stops talking. That's why some of these fellows have big Gus but are stupid as rocks." He indicated a nearby pot-bellied oaf.

He was glad he had remembered about the food for his 'family'. That would also give him a chance to say last farewells and officially hand over guardianship to Blind Tobey by giving him the star shaped piece of blue glass he always carried with him. And of course he'd have to carve his name on the Great Wall...

[ November 01, 2002: Message edited by: Kettle of fish ]