View Single Post
Old 12-17-2002, 01:24 AM   #237
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
1420!

Remdil sighed. He wouldn't follow Eolinda--that did no good when she was in such a mood-- but he knew she wouldn't simply abandon them. He was in a mood to be patient; patience had brought Livia back to them (at least, it was easier to believe that it had been patience than Elves), so he simply continued to ride, biding his time and making his plans.

He was right, of course. After about half an hour, she was once again in sight, and she rode slowly and silently, allowing them to catch up, but not speaking. Whatever it was (and he guessed, now; he knew what people meant when they talked like that, and she did all too often), it had clearly upset her much more than it usually did. She stared straight ahead, either angry or lost in thought. Remdil hestitated a moment, steeled himself, and spoke.

"Eolinda?"

She sighed heavily and glanced sideways at him, not turning her head.

"How old is Livia?"

He had her attention now. Eolinda turned to him, full on, eyes blazing. "What?" she demanded.

"Fifteen, almost sixteen, I'd say," continued Remdil in a cautious voice, but one that refused to be intimidated.

"I'm in no mood to plan birthday parties, Remdil."

"I remember your sixteenth birthday," he went on, watching her carefully.

Eolinda's face tightened. "What are you playing at, Remdil?" she asked, her low, dangerous voice returning. Remdil's mind returned momentarily to the army of maurading cats, which must surely have made a similar sound just before attacking. He didn't back down again. This was astonishing.

"I wondered whether you regretted that--" and suddenly he stopped himself. She was staring at him, suddenly smaller, suddenly younger, and for a moment he did not fear her disapproval, but a sudden quiet concern had moved within him. He didn't want to hurt her. His voice became softer, more serious. "Eolinda, you and I were the only ones that wanted us to get married. Nobody else approved of me; I wasn't good enough. And your parents said, 'We'll not have that boy--' "

"Stop!" she cried. He wasn't sure whether she was angry or ready to laugh. Perhaps it was both. Certainly the glisten in her eye was a strange one. "Stop. Tell me what you're getting at."

"Well, they were wrong."

She did laugh, this time. "You, my friend are completly and utterly maddening. Wrong, were they? How do you know?"

"Well, I know. I know, don't I, Eolindenne? I know."

She rolled her eyes, but she was truly smiling now. "Maybe you do, at that. Maybe. And you suggest?"

"Oh, let them look. No harm comes of it. I don't think you need to send Tannor off, either, by the way. A good useful lad like that?"

"It's all about the horses with you, isn't it?"

"Oh, only to the extent that it's about that boy from Neniant for you." He studied her face carefully, looking for her plans.
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum