View Single Post
Old 11-19-2006, 08:43 PM   #23
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Do you wish them to find you? They are terrible!

Yeah, I found the presentation of the swords to the hobbits a little unlikely, as well. But having cut the Barrow Downs out, there is really no credible way to outfit the hobbits with the weapons they need. Let's just say that Strider was an adherent to the "be prepared" philosophy, and lugged such items around the countryside, "just in case". Although it does irk me to see weapons given without being earned, as this goes against what I have read in Tolkien.

The way in which our heroes were discovered by the Nazgūl was quite inventive; even clever! Their love of food was their undoing, "tomatoes, sausages and nice crispy bacon." You can't leave those boys alone for a second!

PJ missed out on a good opportunity for a few scares here, IMHO. The coming of the Nazgūl to the dell under Weathertop is one of the most terrifying episodes of the book. Jackson turned it into mere slasher film material.

Without Frodo's lunge, there is no plausible reason why the Witch King didn't just stab him in the heart right then and there, and be done with it. I dislike the weakening of Frodo in comparison with his counterpart in the book. He is transformed into helpless victim all too often; we have already missed out on his bravery in the barrow, and here is the second time we are robbed of seeing his heroics. Essex makes a fair point about the suffering of Frodo being key, but I don't think showing some of his braver exploits would take away from this at all. He still gets stabbed, in any case.

I loathed the fight between Aragorn and the Nazgūl. PJ was catering to the lowest element here; the kind of person who would have been disappointed with anything less than an all-out brawl. It would have been perfectly satisfactory for the wraiths to retreat as Aragorn appears brandishing a flaming brand, and his sword if absolutely necessary. We are treated to plenty of fight scenes later: in Moria, and on the slopes of Amon Hen (also the warg fight, regrettably dropped).

I loved Aragorn's line, "he's been stabbed by a Morgul blade", and the disintegration of the blade. Very nicely done. And I think that he does explain that the wound is beyond his skill to heal, requiring "Elvis medicine" (at least that's what I hear lol). I think this would have been a better time for he and Sam to search for athelas, rather than waiting until Frodo has already put up with the pain for several days! Of course then we would need another entry for Arwen (or Glorfindel... sigh...). Good!

I thought the moth was a nice touch and another clever idea (two in the same sequence!). The score for that moment was brilliant. Nice to see Gandalf showing his diverse wizardly powers (although I suspect that that skill was borrowed by the filmmakers from Radagast the Brown). I can't imagine how the moth told Gwaihir to come and rescue Gandalf, but I guess there's nothing wrong with a little willing suspension of disbelief (indeed, these movies stretch the concept as never before!).

And the "camera" move from the pinnacle of Orthanc down into the smithies was great... like a roller coaster!