View Single Post
Old 05-24-2003, 05:08 AM   #102
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Fionel ran, head down, arms working frantically, not even taking her own advice to go at a normal pace. She had heard them, so close...she swore she had almost been able to hear the horses breathing. She had never thought she could be this afraid, but when they had been that close...

She was only a few paces behind the rest when she heard the Hunters erupt out of the forest. She didn't dare turn around, she simply kept on running, the others around her doing the same. The clearing where the Hunters were was only ten minutes behind her by foot; that distance would be easily eaten up by the horses hooves. It would be easier to just give up now...No! She would not give in, and neither would the others, not until the bitter end, and to be sure that couldnt be far away now...

"They...they aren't catching u-up." Santiara panted. "Should..shouldn't they have...caught up...now?"

Fionel glanced at the other and saw a pleading look in her eyes- the girl wanted - needed - to know where the Hunters were, but she couldn't bring herself to do it. Her eyes silently asked Fionel to do it for her. As if I asked for leadership... Fionel took a breath...but she couldnt do it. She just couldnt do it.

A hill was rising in front of them, and it was only about 20 metres until they would go over the top, putting them out of the sight of the Hunters- not that it would help much. Fionel put on a final spurt, although her legs screamed in protest, and threw herself over, landing on her side, breathing heavily, not able to run for the moment. Seconds later the others did the same, all in a similar state. As they lay there, panting, Fionel shot another look at Santiara. The girl nodded, and together, the pair looked over the top. And below them a grisly sight could be seen coming into play. Something had indeed delayed the Hunters, for they had found Ranchard...