View Single Post
Old 02-22-2004, 05:50 PM   #69
Macphisto
Pile O'Bones

Macphisto has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Macphisto
When I was about seven years old, my dad read me The Lord of the Rings. It wasn't until nearly a decade later, when I heard that there were going to be movies made out of my dad's absolute favorite books, that I decided to read them myself.

I didn't remember any of the characters except for Frodo and Gollum. Aragorn? Hah. Sam? No chance. When I picked up The Fellowship of the Ring in the summer of 2001 so I could finish the trilogy before December 19, all I could remember was the very end, when Frodo can't destroy the Ring and Gollum bites off his middle-finger, and then fell off, leaving Frodo of the Nine Fingers.

If that doesn't count as a scene that made a big impression on a little seven year old, I don't know what would.

I also agree with Eorl on The Pyre of Denethor.
Quote:
"And ever after, if any man looked into that stone, unless he had a great strength of will to turn it to other purpose, all he would see were two aged hands, withering in flame."
Okay, I don't have my book, I'm know that's not entirely correct. But I absolutely love the two aged hands withering in flame image. Gives me chills every time.

And I love Of Herbs and Steward Rabbit and The Steward and the King. Two different sides of Faramir. I can't decide which I like better: Perceptive, interrogating Faramir whose cold demeanor breaks down at the news of his brother's fate, or sensitive, romantic Faramir, being unbelieveably sweet in the Tower of the Sun. *sigh*

There's more that I like, but those are the top ones.