View Single Post
Old 03-22-2003, 03:49 AM   #35
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

I think the danger in this approach is that you project too much on to the books. Try a different approach - 'How 'Pagan' is LotR?'
Take Mithraism, an originally Persian religion which was taken up in the pre-Christain Roman period.
Mithras was born in a cave, surrounded by shepherds, on the winter soltice (Dec 25th). He held a 'Last Supper'. Some ancient sources say he died by crucifixion, & rose 3 days later, & will come back as a judge at the end of time, & lead his followers to heaven. One of the Mithraic texts quotes him as saying

" He who will not eat of my body & drink of my blood, so that he will be made one with me & I with him, the same shall not know salvation"
-quoted in 'Mystery Religions of the Ancient World' by J Godwin.

In other words, very little in LotR (or indeed, in Christianity itself) can be claimed to be 'uniquely' Christian. Like Lorien, what you find there is usually what you bring there with you.