View Single Post
Old 10-12-2003, 05:25 AM   #89
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gilly

“Gilly, wake up” Benia whispered, nudging her friend in the back. But the hobbit in her slumber did not understand the urgency in her voice until she had risen, like a bubble in the water, to that condition of wakefulness which Benia’s second attempt to rouse her sleeping form had in fact registered on her sluggish brain. One eye opened to take in her surroundings. Blearily she recognized the profile of the bounty hunter looking into the cooking pot close by the remains of the fire, his scars thrown into sharp contrast in its orange glow.

What have I done! Gilly thought in panic, remembering her exploits of the night before. At the time it had seemed the right thing to do, but now with the dawn breaking and a full night’s rest she saw only the folly of her actions. Stew was one thing, but cold stew, quite possibly burned was quite another. And feeling the odd pressure of the rope under her cheek, and the freedom of her wrists she realized that her bonds had come loose. Horrified, the hobbit tried surreptitiously to tighten them up once more.

“Mrs. Banks,” the bounty hunter said distinctly. Without looking up from the vessel, he slowly withdrew a dagger from its sheath. Gilly could sense Benia stiffen behind her, as her she obediently sat up.

“Yes sir,” She replied, hardly able to utter the words.

“Do you remember what I spoke of yesterday or shall I refresh your memory?” he said taking the dagger and spearing the potato that rested at the bottom of the pot.

“Oh no Mr. Kaldir! I remember,” Gilly said nervously finding her voice. “It was a wrong thing do, but I was so hungry and I thought you might like something hot to eat too. But I had no knife, you see. Or salt and I’m hoping it didn’t get burned, what with me falling asleep. That was careless, I’m sorry…but I stayed here didn’t I and there is Miss Benia. I didn’t create no trouble. Did I?…I did go back into your stores too, but I didn’t touch nothing else I swear…”

“Silence woman! You will wake the dead with such prattle even before my dispatching you. Get up,” he commanded rising to his feet. “Come stand before me.”

Gilly got to her feet and firmly grasping the rope around her wrists with her thumbs, awkwardly jumped over to Kaldir. The bounty hunter grinned slightly at the comical sight.

When the hobbit had stationed herself before him, Kaldir still holding the dagger, took hold of the rope at Gilly’s wrists with his left hand and sharply pulled on them. They slipped easily to the ground leaving a burn on the hobbits wrists. Gilly stood wide-eyed and shaking.

“Pick up the pot,” the bounty hunter instructed her, and as she did as she was told he assumed a firmer grip on the dagger.

Benia gave a sharp gasp and the hobbit stood up to see what had startled her friend. Surprisingly, Kaldir squatted down in front of her and cutting off the knot, unbound the hobbit’s legs.

“I see that you have learned your lesson quickly. Do not cross me Mrs. Banks!” he said. And pointing with the tip of his dagger at the red bands on Gilly’s wrists, “Let that be a reminder to you. Now go, take this vessel to the stream and wash it, as I see you know the way. I will expect you to return, for we must be leaving shortly.”

Gilly, pot in hand, quickly and silently disappeared behind the brambles and once there broke into a beaming smile at her small victory.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 03-22-2004 at 11:16 AM.