View Single Post
Old 04-12-2004, 05:56 PM   #236
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Gilly

Gilly could see now that she would indeed be in need of Kaldir’s help and protection if she were to find her way home again, as well as to provide some sort of convincing proof for her neighbors that she had indeed traveled to Rivendell, and not merely disappeared from Bree in order to play some cruel joke. And she had wanted to thank Kaldir for his kind offer, but then Mr. Kaldir could not go as far as Bywater, and what a shame that was. Not only because it meant she would have to do the convincing on her own, but because she had the notion to cook him a grand meal after all this was over, a fat roast with potatoes and mushroom gravy, maybe raspberries and cake and cream, to both thank him and try to tempt him a bit with the more domestic life she thought he needed. Perhaps if he were to have a steady, kindly home, even if it was not his own, he would not feel the need to go around toting folks away from theirs, scaring them half to death with his rope and his scowling.

But as she picked through these thoughts of hers, trying to find an appropriate way to say “Yes please that would be very nice of you, and thank you very much. And would you mind kindly repeating to my dear husband what you just said then about it being your actions what’s landed me here?” when she heard a long slow metallic scrape ending in a tang that made the hair of her neck stand on end.

Looking back, the young man who accompanied Rauthain, approached them with sword drawn and frowning. For a moment Gilly thought that he meant them harm, but seeing her surprise the man quickly nodded at her. “Not to worry Ma’am, my mother always told me that I should have a steady hand waiting a surprise attack - from my brothers, I mean - They were older than I and very rough….”

“I think I could learn summat from your mother then!” the hobbit said clutching the yoke of her dress in alarm and wondering what manner of man this might be. “Dear me, you’ve given me a fright! I can only hope my own boys never warrant such a warning. And if they did I surely would never give them a sword such as you carry or there’d be naught but hams and briskets all the way to Hobbiton!” She turned to Kaldir for reassurance, but found he had grown serious again and she wondered what he was thinking as he studied the other man’s face.

Reaching out, Rauthain put his rough hand on the man’s back. “Avanill, though it is wise to be alert to the danger that surrounds us, I do not think the elves of this place will respond well to guests entering the heart of their land with drawn swords. It is a place of knowledge as well as healing. See there?” The grey ranger squinting, pointed further along their path toward where it opened upon a green sward that was divided by a swift stream. “This is Karningul and just over that narrow bridge is the house we seek. You may just barely make out the steps of it from here. ”

Gilly quickly returned her sword to its place at her side. “Mr. Avanill, is it? If you don’t mind my saying so, it looks as though you could do with a bit of healing yourself. I’m sure that should any of your brothers find you here, we all would help protect you,” she reassured him. “Will you put away your sword?.”

“Yes,” Rauthain agreed. “If those who would do us mischief where to overtake us, be sure will all fight along side you!”

Avanill slowly slid his sword back in its scabbard, looking not so much at those around him, but seeing another who fast approached looking as though he too had fought hard in battle, for his hair was damp from sweat and he held one arm close upon his belt as he walked. “Hail friends!” this man said soberly as he quickly advanced. Gilly looked from face to face to see who it was he addressed, and curiously only Rauthain gave voice in reply, Kaldir merely nodding. Toby who had looked relieved to see Avanill’s blade sheathed, now looked uncomfortable again with this addition to their group. Not sure what this meant exactly, and what Toby might know of him, she eyed the man with suspicion. “And just who might you be I wonder?” she questioned him when he drew up.

The man apologized introducing himself as Amandur, a ranger and friend of the elf Léspheria who had seemed so kindly disposed toward Miss Benia and herself, when Kaldir had appeared threatening at the Forsaken Inn. “She will be most pleased to hear that you are safe and well,” he said smiling. Surprised as the hobbit was, to find he knew her name, she was overjoyed to find that the Lady Léspheria was here also! Such a comfort she had been helping Miss Benia’s ankle so, and hopefully she too was well, for when Gilly had last seen her she had appeared quite distressed.

“Miss Léspheria, she is here!” the hobbit fairly shouted in her happiness and relief, “Oh Mr. Kaldir, Miss Léspheria will be able to fix up Mr. Dúlrain, like she helped Miss Benia back at the inn.”

“The Healers of Rivendell will be able to fix us all up,” Amandur laughed. True they were a sore sight and in need of rest, Gilly thought as she and Amandur watched the ragged band pass them by on their way to the bridge and the steps.

“Will you excuse me a moment Mrs. Banks?” the ranger said distractedly, moving off to follow the rest. Gilly saw him catch up to them quickly, and Rauthain draw up beside him. Remembering the words Avanill had spoken and not wishing to be left behind, the hobbit quickly hitched up her skirts and ran lightly over the soft green grass to the stone bridge and over, passing by her fellow travelers and waiting on the stone steps for them to catch up again, wondering where Miss Benia and Dúlrain might be now, and if her friend might might know already that Lady Léspheria was here also.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 04-25-2004 at 06:06 PM.