View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 12:41 PM   #137
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Any road up..... (as we say here in God's own county ) back to the plot.

One thing I wanted to bring up, mainly in response to earlier attacks on the sound effects is how well most of them are done. Yes, its easy to pick up on the ones that don't qute come off, but in the main they are exceptionally good - so good that actually you don't notice them - what I mean is the natural sounds, from birdsong, to echoing corridors & halls, to the movement of furniture, are all so perfectly done that you simply accept them. I think that's why the odd bad effect sticks out like a sore thumb.

In the Church House recording Penny Leicester stressed how much effort went into creating the effects - particularly the Moria sequence, & apparently none of the Orc cries over the entire series are ever duplicated - all are unique. Peter Woodthorpe also spoke about how much effort went in to creating the effects. I doubt the BBC would ever put so much effort into a radio series now. So, I think the truth is that its because the effects in this series are generally so good that when they do occasionally fail the seem to fail big time. So, a few questions for Brian

One aspect of the production that I haven't heard very much about is the part played by the old Radiophonics workshop - I mean, how much time did they put in - & was there much experimentation - I don't suppose you can just come up with a Ringwraith voice, or the sound of a Balrog in a couple of minutes.

Oh, & one other thing - I know the Ring sound was created by running a finger around the rim of a wine glass - but who came up with that idea? It sounds so right, but would any of us have thought of doing that?

And, finally for now - what was the largest number of actors in the studio at one time - was the whole Fellowship ever in the studio together?
davem is offline   Reply With Quote