View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #138
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
When the council was finished, Frar retired to the doorway, waiting for Tror to finish speaking with Korin. He would keep himself close at hand, for he knew that Tror would need him soon enough - perhaps even more than Tror himself realized. Frar often felt that Tror underestimated him. It was not unusual. Indeed, many dwarves saw him only as the hearty warrior, but behind that black beard and scarred face, Frar kept a keen mind. He was generally wise and could be even cunning at need, particularly in battle. But, as a hero of Frar's youth had said, "Talk low, talk slow, and don't say too much."

Frar had said hardly a word during the council. He was no politician and he had no taste for politicians, for those who were content to talk and would sacrifice anything for the sake of that idol, policy. Dwarves gone wrong, he would think. Dwarves are fighters; debate suits us not. Like Tror, Frar found such extensive talk and compromise exhausting. He would far rather take orders or give them - in fact, he would rather take orders he disagreed with than sit and talk about them.

He stirred angrily several times throughout the heated debate and nearly spoke once or twice, but he restrained himself. Ordinarily, he would have been Tror's fiercest ally, this council was one battle Tror would have to fight on his own - if he could not win the respect of his dwarves alone and today, he would never do so.

So, when Korin spat on Tror's beard, it was all he could do to keep himself from lashing out. As she brushed by him in the doorway, he clenched his jaw and followed her with burning eyes as she walked away. It was true that you couldn't please everyone, but an insult of this magnitude to a leader was unthinkable. Did Korin not realize that the colony was effectively in a state of war? Discipline was non-negotiable, and, indeed, it was only his desire to preserve the unity of the colony that kept Frar from exploding at Korin right then and there. He would give her this one free; but the very next insubordinate dwarf to cross his path was going to have his (or her) face broken. The colony would be better off without that kind of hot-head anyway.

He looked back gravely at Tror, but kept his righteous fury to himself.

"I wouldn't count on your ale being very good in the near future, if I were you. In fact, if you'd rather not be poisoned, you might stick to water."

He spoke jestingly, because he knew that they did not have to discipline Korin properly - not now, on the eve of battle. He also knew that Tror would need all the encouragement he could get now and in the days to come.

"I said very little during the council, Tror - I am not one for words like Balin was - but I want you to know that I will stand by your mind in this. And the next time one of your dwarves speaks against you, I'm going to knock his head off. Or hers," he finished, looking back the way Korin had gone and massaging his massive fist. "But for now, give me a task. We've precious little time to make ready."

Last edited by Gwathagor; 03-04-2009 at 09:46 PM.