View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007, 06:43 AM   #8
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc
When Frodo puts on the Ring he is invisible you do not see a ring floating in mid-air, I believe this to be true of The Nine, because the Rings had totally ensnared them they and their rings are now invisible.
Well, but this is surely not the same case. It is the power of the One Ring to turn its bearer invisible, we don't know anything like that about the Nine in particular. And the Nazgul, when they were clothed, had everything visible - black cloaks, swords... why not the Rings? Why should the Rings themselves be invisible, when the Ringwraith wanted to be visible? When Frodo put the Ring on, he disappeared with all his possessions, Sting, clothes. The garments and weapons of Ringwraith were visible. So I wouldn't consider this much of an evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc
When it comes to what Gandalf says in The Council of Elrond I put more trust in his words for they are what Tokien says and is happy with it in published form, I do not wish to be a bore but anything in UT is only what he was thinking of writing, nothing was ever finalised.
Good point, though, we still have more evidence even from just the LotR, direct or indirect, that seems to imply that the Rings actually were not in the possession of the Nazgul, but of Sauron. But I still tend to bear the part TM quoted as one of great importance, because it says pretty explicitely that Sauron it was who had the Rings in possession. This would probably be for a debate about the canon, which, of course...

Another quote from the Silmarillion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Of the Rings of Power
It is Sauron himself who has taken shape again and now grows apace; and he is gathering again all the Rings to his hand;
Here, when interpretated literally, this is another word by Gandalf - so about the same value as the one quoted from the Council - and here he speaks of Sauron gathering all the Rings to his hand. This is actually what I imagined: that Sauron, after the Second-age fiasco, was now really gathering the Rings back, not any more to give them to someone else, but to hold them and be the true Lord of (all) the Rings. Because when he had the One back, he wouldn't need some other Rings to control some Dwarves or Elves or Men, as it is said, it would be "ultimate victory" for him. And he, in my opinion, didn't need the nine Men to wear the Nine from the moment they turned into Ringwraith, because they already had only a will of his own, and not of theirs.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote