View Single Post
Old 08-17-2003, 12:04 PM   #146
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Meirelle returned from helping Alethea dress for the meeting with Adrama to her empty quarters for a quick fix of her uniform. When she peeked into the looking-glass, she gasped in horror. Wisps of hair had come apart from her usually neat braid and were floating about her head. Her dress had a few stains on it and had a rip in the side, where she had caught it on a door handle and pulled too hard to get it free.

She quickly changed her dress and took her hair out of the messy braid. She brushed it rapidly and braided it up again. As she did this, she noted that from being braided every single day, her hair was gaining a permanent wave to it. Smiling at this, she headed back out of the quarters and to the kitchen to help prepare dinner.

As she stepped inside, the warm fragrances of cooking food invaded her nose. Servants and cooks bustled to and fro inside the busy kitchen and Meirelle was nearly trampled more than once. She was tapped on the shoulder by a harried-looking woman, who said, "Miss, please watch those potatoes in the oven! Make sure they don't overcook!" and hurried off. Meirelle opened the oven and checked on the potatoes, which seemed to be cooking nicely. She decided to strike up a conversation with the maid beside her who was stirring a pot of thick stew.

"Hullo, miss," greeted Meirelle cheerily. "I'm Meirelle. Would you like to chat a while?"

The maid looked at her and smiled, saying, "My name is Thela. It would be nice to chat with you, as we have a while until our food is cooked. Where do you hail from, Meirelle? I reside here in Minas Tirith, and I am a maid of the castle."

Meirelle answered with "I am a maid of the Lady Dryea, the Lady Alethea and the Lady Ruiel. We have come to witness the wedding of Finduilas and Denethor."

Thela drew in a sharp breath at the name of Finduilas, and Meirelle was delighted to hear her distress. Had the rumours reached her yet? Casually, she asked, "Why, Thela, you seem distressed. Would it please you to tell me what is wrong?"

Thela looked about suspiciously, and leaned closer to Meirelle, whispering, "Have you not heard the rumours?"

Meirelle pretended to be surprised and asked, "What rumours? Tell me!"

Thela told a surprisingly detailed explanation of Finduilas' "false" identity and who she "really" was. Meirelle pretended to be shocked more and more with each word. When Thela finished, she asked, "Is-is this true?"

"Everyone thinks so, m'lady Meirelle," answered Thela, who hurriedly turned back to the stew which was close to boiling over. That reminded Meirelle of her potatoes and she pulled open the oven and peeped inside at them. These potatoes are baking beautifully! thought Meirelle, as she turned them over and covered them with more sauce.

[ August 17, 2003: Message edited by: Horse-Maiden of the Shire ]