View Single Post
Old 12-17-2003, 11:52 PM   #34
faenaduial

Silmaril

After reading these posts I feel like I am the only one who was majorly disappointed in this movie.<P>I read the spoilers and was prepared for most of the big changes: no scouring of the Shire, no Mouth of Sauron, no Saruman, or so I thought.<P>Here are the things I had a major problem with:<P>FRODO SENDS SAM AWAY! I'm sorry, this is just totally against character.<P>ARWEN WILL DIE IF THE RING IS NOT DESTROYED! Why - since when is Arwen's life tied to the ring.<P>GANDALF BEATS DENETHOR WITH HIS STAFF! This again is totally against character. Not only does he beat him with the staff in one scene, he basically casts knocks him back on the funeral pyre later in the movie.<P>I'm sorry I know some changes are necessary to make a movie entertaining. Things that are great on the written page don't always transfer well onto the screen, but I could find no good reason for any of these changes.<P>I was very disappointed. I loved the first two films even though they had a few changes I didn't agree with. I was thrilled that such an amazing job was done in bringing the books to life. I just didn't feel that this movie did justice to RotK.<P>I did love all the performances by the actors. All of them did a terrific job and I thought Elijah, Sean and Andy were amazing.<P>I think in a few days I will try to see the movie again. Maybe the second time I will warm up to it. Its very hard not to keep comparing the movies to the books when you've been reading them for the last thirty years.